Energy of a photon absorbed by an elementary particle

In summary, an elementary particle with mass M absorbs a photon and its mass increases to 1.01M. To determine the energy of the incoming photon, the equation Δm = ΔE/c^2 can be used. However, this gives an answer of E = 0.01Mc^2, which is not the correct answer according to part b. Further calculations using the equations (mc^2)^2 = E^2 - (pc)^2 and E = pc (for m = 0) yield an energy of 0.01005Mc^2. The reason this energy is greater than 0.01Mc^2 is still unclear.
saridy

Homework Statement

An elementary particle of mass M completely absorbs a photon, after which its mass is 1.01M.
a) What was the energy of the incoming photon?
b) Why is that energy greater than 0.01Mc2?

Homework Equations

E = mc2 or Δm = Δ E/c2
E = γmc2

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I can see doing is Δm = 1.01M - M = 0.01M = E/c2
But that gives E = 0.01Mc2 , which according to part b is not the answer. How do you solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
After further reading, I'll add these equations:
(mc2)2 = E2 - (pc)2
E = pc (for m = 0)

OKAY. so I got an answer of 0.01005Mc^2, so I'd appreciate if someone could check/correct that for me. I still don't know how to explain it in part b.

Related to Energy of a photon absorbed by an elementary particle

1. What is the energy of a photon?

The energy of a photon is the amount of electromagnetic radiation carried by a single particle of light. It is measured in units of joules (J) or electron volts (eV).

2. How is the energy of a photon calculated?

The energy of a photon can be calculated using the equation E = hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 J*s), and f is the frequency of the photon's electromagnetic wave.

3. What is an elementary particle?

An elementary particle is a subatomic particle that is not composed of other particles. Examples include electrons, protons, and neutrons.

4. How is the energy of a photon absorbed by an elementary particle?

When a photon interacts with an elementary particle, the energy of the photon is transferred to the particle, increasing its energy level. This can result in the particle's movement or the release of other particles.

5. Why is the energy of a photon absorbed by an elementary particle important?

The energy of a photon absorbed by an elementary particle is important because it can have significant effects on the behavior and properties of the particle. It can also provide valuable insights into the nature of matter and the fundamental forces that govern the universe.