In summary, the homework statement is as follows:(a) Show that acceleration is perpendicular to velocity.(b) Show the following relations:(c) Show the continuity equation.(d) Show if P = 0 geodesics obey:Acceleration is perpendicular to velocity. The following relations are shown:-Acceleration is perpendicular to velocity.-The continuity equation is shown.-If P = 0, then geodesics do not obey the null geodesic equation.
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a) Show acceleration is perpendicular to velocity
(b)Show the following relations
(c) Show the continuity equation
(d) Show if P = 0 geodesics obey:

tensor3.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a)

[tex]U_{\mu}A^{\mu} = U_{\mu}U^v \left[ \partial_v U^{\mu} + \Gamma_{v\epsilon}^{\mu} U^{\epsilon} \right] [/tex]
[tex] = \delta_\mu^{v} \left[ \partial_v U^{\mu} + \Gamma_{v\epsilon}^{\mu} U^{\epsilon} \right] [/tex]
[tex] = \partial_{\mu} U^{\mu} + \Gamma_{\mu \epsilon}^{\mu} U^{\epsilon} [/tex]
[tex] = \partial_{\mu} U^{\mu} + \Gamma_{\mu mu}^{\mu} U^{\mu} [/tex]
[tex] = \partial_{\mu} U^{\mu} + \left[ \frac{1}{2} g^{\mu \mu} (\partial_{\mu} g_{\mu \mu} + \partial_{\mu} g_{\mu \mu} - \partial_\mu g_{\mu\mu} ) \right] U^{\mu}[/tex]
[tex] = -\partial_{\mu} U^{\mu} - g^{\mu\mu} \partial_{\mu} g_{\mu\mu} V^{\mu}[/tex]How do I show it equals 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your second step is not correct. ##U_\mu U^\nu \neq \delta^\nu_\mu##.

Orodruin said:
Your second step is not correct. ##U_\mu U^\nu \neq \delta^\nu_\mu##.

Why is that wrong? I thought it is normalized such that ##U_\nu U^\nu = -1##.

Yes, which does not imply ##U_\mu U^\nu = \delta^\nu_\mu##. In fact, if it was true, then ##U_\nu U^\nu = \delta^\nu_\nu = 4##.

Orodruin said:
Yes, which does not imply ##U_\mu U^\nu = \delta^\nu_\mu##. In fact, if it was true, then ##U_\nu U^\nu = \delta^\nu_\nu = 4##.

Then ##U_\mu U^\nu = -\frac{\delta_\mu^\nu}{4}## to make it work? Even then, I don't see how ##
= -\frac{ \left( \partial_{\mu} U^{\mu} + g^{\mu\mu} \partial_{\mu} g_{\mu\mu} V^{\mu} \right) }{4} ## equals to 0..

unscientific said:
Then ##U_\mu U^\nu = -\frac{\delta_\mu^\nu}{4}## to make it work? Even then, I don't see how ##
= -\frac{ \left( \partial_{\mu} U^{\mu} + g^{\mu\mu} \partial_{\mu} g_{\mu\mu} V^{\mu} \right) }{4} ## equals to 0..

No, you still cannot draw this conclusion and you will have to find another way around. Think of a 4-velocity in SR and express it in the rest frame: ##U^\mu = (1,0,0,0)##. Now, obviously, ##U_2 U^2 = 0##, which would not be true if ##U_\mu U^\nu = - \delta^\nu_\mu/4##. Clearly the only non-zero component of this tensor is the 00 component. This has a straight forward generalisation to GR.

I suggest you instead try to think of how you wokld prove this in SR and try to generalise the result to GR.

Orodruin said:
No, you still cannot draw this conclusion and you will have to find another way around. Think of a 4-velocity in SR and express it in the rest frame: ##U^\mu = (1,0,0,0)##. Now, obviously, ##U_2 U^2 = 0##, which would not be true if ##U_\mu U^\nu = - \delta^\nu_\mu/4##. Clearly the only non-zero component of this tensor is the 00 component. This has a straight forward generalisation to GR.

I suggest you instead try to think of how you wokld prove this in SR and try to generalise the result to GR.

I can do it in SR, but that's not the point of this exercise. I need to work with the form I'm given: ##U_\mu A^\mu = U_\mu U^v\nabla_v U^\mu## and show it is equal to 0..

unscientific said:
I can do it in SR, but that's not the point of this exercise.
My point is that you can do it exactly in the same way in GR, with some generalisations required due to no longer having simply ##U^\nu \partial_\nu##, but instead having ##U^\nu \nabla_\nu##. This is why I suggest that you first recall how you do it in SR.

Orodruin said:
My point is that you can do it exactly in the same way in GR, with some generalisations required due to no longer having simply ##U^\nu \partial_\nu##, but instead having ##U^\nu \nabla_\nu##. This is why I suggest that you first recall how you do it in SR.

Ok, let's try it here.

The 4-velocity is given by ##U = \gamma(c, \vec v)##. In the rest frame, ##U' = c(1,0)##.
The 4-acceleration is given by ##\frac{dU}{d\tau}##. In rest frame, ##A' = (0,\vec a_0)##.

Using invariance, ##U \cdot A = U' \cdot A' = 0##.

Ok, that is cheating a bit. You have essentially used that ##A## is orthogonal to ##U## when writing it down in the rest frame in order to show that ##A## is orthogonal to ##U##.

How about instead trying to show it using the definition of the 4-acceleration, i.e., show that
$$
U \cdot A = U \cdot \frac{dU}{d\tau} = 0?
$$

Likes unscientific
Orodruin said:
Ok, that is cheating a bit. You have essentially used that ##A## is orthogonal to ##U## when writing it down in the rest frame in order to show that ##A## is orthogonal to ##U##.

How about instead trying to show it using the definition of the 4-acceleration, i.e., show that
$$
$$

[tex] \frac{d}{d\tau} (U \cdot U) = \frac{d}{d\tau}( -1) = 0[/tex]

I think I got a quick way to show it:

Orodruin said:

$$
$$

[tex] \frac{D}{D \tau} (U \cdot U) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] 2U \cdot \frac{D}{D\tau} U = 0 [/tex]
[tex]U_\mu U^{\alpha} \nabla_{\alpha} U^{\mu} = 0 [/tex]

Orodruin said:
$$

I tried to do part (c), but I feel like I'm missing something:

[tex] \nabla_\mu \left[ (\rho + P) U^\mu U^v + g^{\mu v} P \right] = 0 [/tex]

Using ##\nabla_\mu g^{\mu v} = 0## and ##\nabla_\mu U^\mu = 0##:

[tex] \nabla_\mu \left[ (\rho + P) U^\mu U^v \right] + g^{\mu v} \nabla_\mu P = 0 [/tex]

[tex] U^\mu U^v\nabla_\mu (\rho + P) + (\rho + P)U^\mu \nabla_\mu U^v + g^{\mu v} \nabla_\mu P = 0 [/tex]

Multiplying ##U_v## throughout on the left to cancel out the middle term:

[tex] U^\mu (U_v U^v)\nabla_\mu (\rho + P) + g^{\mu v}U_v \nabla_\mu P = 0 [/tex]

[tex] -U^\mu \nabla_\mu (\rho + P) + g^{\mu v}U_v \nabla_\mu P = 0 [/tex]

Last edited:
Who says ##\nabla_\mu U^\mu =0##? If this was true there would not be much sense in having such a term in the expression you are supposed to derive (and if you assume it you are going to miss this term). Apart from that it looks like you are done already.

Related to Energy-Momentum Tensor Algebra

1. What is the energy-momentum tensor algebra?

The energy-momentum tensor algebra is a mathematical framework used in theoretical physics to describe the conservation laws of energy and momentum in a given system. It is based on the concept of tensors, which are multidimensional arrays that can represent physical quantities such as energy and momentum.

2. How is the energy-momentum tensor algebra used?

The energy-momentum tensor algebra is used to describe the flow and distribution of energy and momentum in a system. It is an essential tool in various fields of physics, including general relativity, quantum field theory, and fluid dynamics. It allows scientists to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of physical systems.

3. What are the components of the energy-momentum tensor?

The energy-momentum tensor has ten components, which represent the energy and momentum in different directions and at different points in space and time. These components include the energy density, momentum density, pressure, and shear stress. Each component is a function of the coordinates in the system and can change over time.

4. Can the energy-momentum tensor be expressed in different coordinate systems?

Yes, the energy-momentum tensor can be expressed in different coordinate systems. This is because it is a tensor, which means it can be transformed using mathematical operations to represent the same physical quantity in different coordinate systems. This allows scientists to study the same system from different perspectives and make comparisons between them.

5. What are some real-world applications of the energy-momentum tensor algebra?

The energy-momentum tensor algebra has many real-world applications, including predicting the behavior of fluids in engineering and designing structures, calculating the evolution of the universe in cosmology, and studying the interactions between particles in high-energy physics experiments. It is also an essential tool in understanding the dynamics of black holes and other astronomical objects.