Energy dissipated in a resistor during a time interval?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding power and energy dissipated in a circuit using the equation P = I*V and the integration of power with respect to time. The individual calculates the voltage, current, and power at a specific time, but goes wrong by not accounting for the changing voltage in the integration. The correct way to find power and energy dissipated is to integrate the expression P(t) with respect to time from 0 to 0.4 seconds.
mkematt96

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

P = I*V energy dissipated = wr = ∫ ( P *dt) ... t is from 0 to .4 seconds vs = 400t^2 = 400 * (.4^2) = 64 V

The Attempt at a Solution

Using KVL I said Vs ( 64 V) = 100 * i ... I found that I was 64/100 = .64 amps. I then said power is .64 amps ^ 2 * 100 ohms = 40.96 Watts. I then integrated 40.96 Watts with respects to time ... Energy dissipated = wr = ∫ ( 40.96 Watts *dt ) from 0 to .4 seconds = 40.96 * .4 = 16.384 J.Where did I go wrong?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.5 KB · Views: 4,543
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 40.96 is not the power at ##t<0.4## s. You calculate as if the voltage was a constant 64 V from ## t= 0 ## to ##t=0.4 ## s.

BvU said:
The 40.96 is not the power at ##t<0.4## s. You calculate as if the voltage was a constant 64 V from ## t= 0 ## to ##t=0.4 ## s.
So then if the voltage is changing I could integrate with respect to time: Vs = ∫ 400t^2 dt from 0 to .4 s which is equal to 8.533 V then divide by 100 ohms to find the current .08533 amps. Then integrate power with respect to time: Wr= ∫ ( .08533^2 * 100) dt from 0 to .4 sec ?

Aren't you doing something similar again ? Why integrate twice ? Use your own relevant equation ##\displaystyle \int_0^{0.4 {\rm s}}\; P(t) \;dt ## where you substitute an appropriate expression for ##P(t)## :cool:

Related to Energy dissipated in a resistor during a time interval?

1. What is energy dissipation in a resistor?

Energy dissipation in a resistor is the process of converting electrical energy into heat energy. This occurs when an electric current flows through a resistor, causing resistance and generating heat as a byproduct.

2. How is energy dissipated in a resistor calculated?

The amount of energy dissipated in a resistor can be calculated by multiplying the square of the current flowing through the resistor by the resistance of the resistor, and then multiplying by the time interval.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy dissipated in a resistor?

The amount of energy dissipated in a resistor depends on the resistance of the resistor, the current flowing through it, and the duration of time in which the current is flowing. Higher resistance and current, as well as longer durations, will result in more energy dissipated.

4. How does the energy dissipated in a resistor affect the circuit?

The energy dissipated in a resistor can affect the circuit in several ways. It can cause the resistor to heat up, potentially leading to overheating and damage. It can also cause a decrease in the overall efficiency of the circuit, as some of the electrical energy is being converted into heat instead of being used for its intended purpose.

5. How can the energy dissipated in a resistor be reduced?

The energy dissipated in a resistor can be reduced by using resistors with lower resistance values, limiting the current flowing through the resistor, or reducing the duration of time in which the current is flowing. Additionally, using materials with higher thermal conductivity can help dissipate the heat generated by the resistor more efficiently.