Energy density of magnetic field in a solenoid

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy density and total energy in a solenoid with given dimensions and current. The formulas for energy density and total energy are provided and used to solve the problem, but incorrect values were initially used for μo and the cross-sectional area. The correct values were then used to obtain the correct solutions.
mdf730

Homework Statement

A solenoid that is 117 cm long has a cross-sectional area of 20.0 cm2. There are 1010 turns of wire carrying a current of 9.56 A. (a) Calculate the energy density of the magnetic field inside the solenoid. (b) Find the total energy in joules stored in the magnetic field there (neglect end effects).

Homework Equations

B = μo*n*I, where n=N/l
energy density = B^2/(2*μo)
total energy = answer to part a times the volume

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging the formulas into each other, I got

(((1010/1.17)*9.56*4*10^-7)^2)/(8*10^-7) = 13.6 J/m^3 for part (a) and
13.6*.2*1.17 = 3.19 for part (b)

Both are incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
for part a, you have used μo to be 4*10^-7 but this is not the right definition. And for part b, 20cm^2 is not equal to 0.2m^2 (remember that 100cm^2 is not 1m^2). Apart from that, your working looks good.

Oh, thank you! I hate when I miss stupid little things like that.

hehe. yeah it is annoying when that happens.

I would approach this problem by first checking my calculations and making sure that I have used the correct units for all of the variables. I would also double check the given values to ensure accuracy.

Next, I would analyze the equations being used and make sure that they are applicable to the given scenario. In this case, the equations for magnetic field and energy density are correct, but the formula for total energy may need to be adjusted for a solenoid.

I would also consider any assumptions that are being made, such as neglecting end effects, and how they may affect the accuracy of the calculations. If necessary, I would research and use more advanced equations or techniques to account for these effects.

Lastly, I would consider the limitations of the given information and how they may affect the accuracy of the results. For example, the given cross-sectional area may not account for the thickness of the wire, which could affect the magnetic field and energy density calculations.

Overall, as a scientist, I would carefully review and analyze all aspects of the problem to ensure accurate and reliable results.

Related to Energy density of magnetic field in a solenoid

1. What is energy density of magnetic field in a solenoid?

The energy density of a magnetic field in a solenoid is a measure of the amount of energy stored in the magnetic field per unit volume. It is a function of the magnetic field strength and the permeability of the material inside the solenoid.

2. How is the energy density of a magnetic field in a solenoid calculated?

The energy density of a magnetic field in a solenoid can be calculated using the formula u = (B^2)/(2*μ), where B is the magnetic field strength and μ is the permeability of the material inside the solenoid.

3. What factors affect the energy density of a magnetic field in a solenoid?

The energy density of a magnetic field in a solenoid is affected by the number of turns in the solenoid, the current flowing through the solenoid, the magnetic field strength, and the permeability of the material inside the solenoid.

4. How does the energy density of a magnetic field in a solenoid compare to other forms of energy?

The energy density of a magnetic field in a solenoid is relatively low compared to other forms of energy, such as electric fields or gravitational fields. However, it can still be significant in certain applications, such as in electromagnets or electric motors.

5. Can the energy density of a magnetic field in a solenoid be changed?

Yes, the energy density of a magnetic field in a solenoid can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as the number of turns in the solenoid, the current flowing through it, or the material inside the solenoid. It can also be changed by using different materials with different permeabilities.