Energy conversion in a spring SHM

In summary: I'm not sure if it's the fault of the problem statement, or just the way it was worded but it could be made less ambiguous.In summary, the conversation discusses the energy conversions in a spring undergoing simple harmonic motion, specifically at the points of maximum compression and maximum stretch. It is noted that at these points, the spring has achieved minimum speed and acceleration, with all of its kinetic energy being transferred to potential energy. At the equilibrium point, the spring has achieved maximum speed and all the energy has been transferred to kinetic energy. The conversation also touches on the effects of gravity and the importance of anchoring the spring.
Radic S
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Looking for some feedback

a) Describe the energy conversions in a spring undergoing simple harmonic motion as it moves from the point of maximum compression to maximum stretch in a frictionless envoirnment. Be sure to point out the points at which there will be
I) maximum speed
ii) minimum speed
iii) minimum acceleration

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
When a spring is undergoing SHM energy is being conserved in the oscillating spring. This energy is being transformed between one type of energy and another. 1) At the extremes when the spring is fully stretched/compressed it has achieved the minimum speed and instantaneous velocity of 0. The reason for this is because the spring has lost its kinetic energy. When at this minimum speed it has achieved the greatest stretch Δx from its equilibrium. All the E_k at this point has been transferred over to E_e 2) At the equilibrium point or rest position of the spring the energy has all been transferred away from E_e into E_k and it has achieved the maximum speed in the system. 3) The acceleration when the spring is at the mean is minimum as well since Δx=0. Between the two extremes and the equilibrium the spring has its total energy distributed between E_e and E_k. The total energy in the system does not change during this process, it only transfers from one energy type to another.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you assuming this spring has been placed on a horizontal plane?

whit3r0se- said:
Are you assuming this spring has been placed on a horizontal plane?

I'm assuming the spring isn't in any plane. A fictional spring oscillating without any other influences on it i.e gravity.

Well that isn't very helpful, why not attempt to factor in gravity?

whit3r0se- said:
Well that isn't very helpful, why not attempt to factor in gravity?

I believe it would complicate the matter beyond the scope of the course, it seems like they want just a general test for knowledge of basic relationships with an ideal spring in SHM forever.

Radic S said:
I believe it would complicate the matter beyond the scope of the course, it seems like they want just a general test for knowledge of basic relationships with an ideal spring in SHM forever.

I agree!...the properties of a spring do not depend on gravity. A vertical spring with a hanging weight may be the most familiar situation but it is not the general case.
Can you sketch graphs of PE and KE with displacement for SHM?

lychette said:
I agree!...the properties of a spring do not depend on gravity. A vertical spring with a hanging weight may be the most familiar situation but it is not the general case.
If you factor gravity in, the point of equilibrium of the oscillations will be shifted

lychette said:

The way I visualize these factious springs for conceptual purposes is as a spring in an empty background, I don't really consider it on an x or y plane.

With regards to the sketching the graphs, wouldn't it depend on which axis the spring was oscillating? As an example if I choose the spring to be oscillating parallel to the floor and gravity pulling towards the center of the Earth I would have no PE because Δh=0 since h is on the y axis.

All of the equations relating to SHM are given in terms of displacement from the equilibrium position, x Displacement is a vector.
eg F = -kx or a = -k/m (x) if you prefer the acceleration equation.
The PE in SHM is ELASTIC PE of the spring system, not gravitational PE

lychette said:
All of the equations relating to SHM are given in terms of displacement from the equilibrium position, x Displacement is a vector.
eg F = -kx or a = -k/m (x) if you prefer the acceleration equation.
The PE in SHM is ELASTIC PE of the spring system, not gravitational PE

I was doing some thinking about these graphs, how would I setup the restrictions for the graph because wouldn't displacement continue on to ±∞ and what definition would I use for k? -1? I can graph 1 variable equations but with 2 I'm not very familiar with the process in setting it up.

Restrictions would be +/- A (amplitude)

A spring not connected to anything else is literally a free body . You need to either anchor it in space or define its actions in terms of nodal forces and displacements .

Nidum said:
A spring not connected to anything else is literally a free body . You need to either anchor it in space or define its actions in terms of nodal forces and displacements .

If we assume the spring is anchored to a surface with a negligible mass could you not disregard the direction which is it oscillating? I assumed it was anchored by default, my fault for forgetting something as obvious as it requiring an anchor.

Radic S said:
If we assume the spring is anchored to a surface with a negligible mass could you not disregard the direction which is it oscillating? I assumed it was anchored by default, my fault for forgetting something as obvious as it requiring an anchor.
I think you mean a surface with infinite mass, but that is not necessary. What you do need is that the acceleration of each endpoint of the spring is an affine function of the tension in the spring. Thus, it could be two masses that are otherwise free to move.
Typically you ignore the mass of the spring itself, since this creates complications. The motion would no longer be 'simple'.
whit3r0se- said:
If you factor gravity in, the point of equilibrium of the oscillations will be shifted
... which has no bearing on any of the questions posed, provided the answer is phrased in terms of the reference points mentioned (min and max extension).
That said, the question is a bit wrong in suggesting it is necessarily sometimes under compression and sometimes under tension. It might always be compressed or always be stretched. Min and max extension is a better way to express it because each could be a negative value.

Related to Energy conversion in a spring SHM

1. What is energy conversion in a spring SHM?

Energy conversion in a spring SHM refers to the transformation of potential energy to kinetic energy and vice versa in a spring undergoing simple harmonic motion (SHM). This occurs as the spring oscillates back and forth between its equilibrium position and maximum displacement.

2. How is energy converted in a spring SHM?

At the equilibrium position, a spring has its maximum potential energy as it is stretched or compressed. As the spring moves away from this position, its potential energy decreases and is converted into kinetic energy. At the maximum displacement, the spring has its maximum kinetic energy and its potential energy is reduced to zero. As the spring moves back towards the equilibrium position, this process is reversed and kinetic energy is converted back into potential energy.

3. What factors affect energy conversion in a spring SHM?

The factors that affect energy conversion in a spring SHM include the amplitude of the motion, the mass of the object attached to the spring, and the spring constant. A larger amplitude or mass will result in a greater amount of energy being converted, while a higher spring constant will result in a faster rate of energy conversion.

4. How does energy conservation apply to spring SHM?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In a spring SHM, the total mechanical energy (potential energy + kinetic energy) remains constant throughout the motion, even as energy is converted between the two forms.

5. How is energy dissipated in a spring undergoing SHM?

In reality, energy is not completely conserved in a spring SHM due to factors such as air resistance and friction. These forces cause the energy to be dissipated as heat, which results in a gradual decrease in the amplitude of the motion until the spring ultimately comes to a stop.