Energy Conversion Homework: Equations and Attempt at Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of torque and its relation to mechanical work in a system. The participants explore different equations and methods for computing torque, including using the average value of L over 90 degrees and formulas for Φmax and delta reluctance. The conversation also mentions the factor of 1/8 being an approximation and potentially being pulled out of the air by a professor.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

7064311f1e.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

b98bd4d11b.png

I'm quite new to these chapters and I can't seem to get my head around the theory and especially this question. That's the solution above. Where does the T_max = 1/8... equation come from? I understand that the mechanical work done in this system is the torque. And the derivative of work is power. I'm quite confused

Physics news on Phys.org
I got an answer by:
computing difference in stored magnetic energy as i/2/2 x (Lmax - Lmin))
and equating it to work done by torque over 90 degrees of rotor angle.
To compute i I used v = iωL.
I used the average value of L over the 90 degrees.
I can't really justify using averaged L, nor why the result should give max. torque rather than averaged. But maybe you can use this as a guide. My answer was 12.5% high.

(Were you given some kind of formula relating max. torque to Φmax and delta reluctance? You could compute Φmax from v = N dΦ/dt = ωNΦ. Realize that all these formulas are approximations).

I think the 1/8 factor is some kind of average number pulled out of the air by your professor.

It can be fairly accurately computed that
0π/2 T(θ)dθ = N2Φ2max(1/L1 - 1/L2)
= Φ2max(R1 - R2)
where R is reluctance and T is torque;
but the question is how to apportion T(θ) between θ=0 and θ=π/2. Depending on how you do I imagine the factor 1/8 could be conjured up.

Related to Energy Conversion Homework: Equations and Attempt at Solution

1. What is energy conversion?

Energy conversion is the process of changing energy from one form to another. This can include converting energy from mechanical to electrical, or from chemical to thermal.

2. What are some common equations used in energy conversion?

Some common equations used in energy conversion include the first and second laws of thermodynamics, Ohm's law, and the equations for kinetic and potential energy.

3. How do I solve energy conversion problems?

To solve energy conversion problems, you should first identify the types of energy involved and determine the initial and final forms of energy. Then, use the appropriate equations to calculate the amount of energy converted.

4. Can energy be created or destroyed during conversion?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be converted from one form to another.

5. What are some real-world applications of energy conversion?

Energy conversion is used in many everyday activities, such as charging a phone battery, powering a car, and generating electricity from renewable sources like wind and solar energy. It is also used in large-scale applications such as power plants and industrial processes.