Energy considerations and the inhomogeneous wave equation

In summary: Summary: In summary, the associated energy law for the forced wave equation is given by the Hamiltonian, which represents the total energy of the system including the effects of the external force. The time derivative of the Hamiltonian is equal to the power input from the external force, showing that the energy of the system changes due to the force. In the homogeneous case, the Hamiltonian is constant and the energy of the system remains unchanged over time.
nickthequick
Hi,

If I have a forced wave equation

[tex] u_{tt}-c^2u_{xx}= f(x,t) [/tex]

what is my associated energy law?For instance, in the homogeneous case

[tex]\Box u=0 [/tex]

I know that

[tex] E(t)=\frac{1}{2}\int u_t^2 +c^2|u_x|^2 \ dx [/tex]

which implies that [itex]\frac{d E(t)}{d t}[/itex] is equal to zero. (just use integration by parts)

I'm not sure if I should just conclude that

[tex]\frac{d E}{dt}= \int u_t f(x,t) dx [/tex]

by following the same logic as was used to show that this quantity is zero in the homogeneous case. Or we can more generally see that the forced wave equation has a Lagrangian given by

[tex] L = \frac{1}{2}\iint -u_t^2 +c^2|u_x|^2 - 2u f(x,t) \ dx \ dt[/tex]

which means that the associated Hamiltonian, or energy, would be

[tex] E(t) = \frac{1}{2}\int u_t^2 +c^2|u_x|^2 + 2u f(x,t) \ dx [/tex]

which leads to a different result than what I quoted above.Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Nick,

The associated energy law for the forced wave equation is given by the Hamiltonian, which is defined as the total energy of the system at any given time t. In this case, the Hamiltonian is given by:

H(t) = \frac{1}{2}\int (u_t^2 + c^2|u_x|^2) + 2uf(x,t) dx

This Hamiltonian represents the total energy of the system, including the energy of the wave and the energy added by the external force f(x,t). The time derivative of the Hamiltonian is equal to the power input from the external force, which is given by:

\frac{dH}{dt} = \int u_t f(x,t) dx

This shows that the energy of the system is changing due to the external force f(x,t). In the homogeneous case, where there is no external force, the Hamiltonian is constant and the energy of the system remains unchanged over time.

I hope this helps clarify the energy law for the forced wave equation.

Related to Energy considerations and the inhomogeneous wave equation

1. What is the inhomogeneous wave equation?

The inhomogeneous wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of waves in a medium with varying properties. It takes into account both the source of the wave and the properties of the medium it travels through.

2. How does energy factor into the inhomogeneous wave equation?

Energy is an important consideration in the inhomogeneous wave equation because it determines the amplitude and intensity of the wave. The energy of the wave is directly related to the properties of the medium and the source of the wave.

3. What are some examples of energy considerations in the inhomogeneous wave equation?

Some common energy considerations in the inhomogeneous wave equation include the energy of the source, the energy loss due to absorption or scattering in the medium, and the energy transfer between different types of waves (such as electromagnetic and mechanical waves).

4. How does the inhomogeneous wave equation differ from the homogeneous wave equation?

The inhomogeneous wave equation takes into account variations in the properties of the medium, while the homogeneous wave equation assumes a constant medium. This means that the inhomogeneous wave equation can model more complex wave phenomena, such as reflection and refraction.

5. What practical applications does the inhomogeneous wave equation have?

The inhomogeneous wave equation has many practical applications in fields such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics. It is used to study the behavior of waves in different types of media, and to design and optimize systems that utilize wave propagation, such as antennas and medical imaging devices.