Energy Conservation of a toy gun

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the speed of a disc fired from a toy gun using a compressed spring and friction. The equation for kinetic energy and potential energy are used to find the work done by friction and the remaining kinetic energy of the disc. The final answer for the speed of the disc is 5.67 m/s, but there is some confusion about the correct answer as the review problem states 1.8 m/s.
salman213
1. A toy gun fires a 9.41-g projectile disc by using a compressed sprint (k=1.72 x 10^3 N/m) and a 13.1 cm long barrel. As the disc travvels through the barrel it experiences a constant frictional force of 0.13 N. If the spring is compressed 14 mm what is the speed of the disc as it leaves the gun?

2. Ek = 1/2mv^2
Ee = 1/2kx^2
W = F*d

3. DeltaEe - W = DeltaEk ?

1/2kx^2 - F*d = 1/2mv^2
1/2(1.72 x 10^3)(0.014)^2 - (0.13*0.131) = 1/2(0.00941)(v)^2
v = 5.67 m/s BUT THATS WRONG, I have a physics exam some day this week and i was just reviewin gmy notes and trying old review problems he gave us..and on the review it says the answer to this question is 1.8 m/s...i don't get what I am doing wrong :(

Physics news on Phys.org
im not what's wrong but after going through it again if i make v = 1.8m/s as it says the answer is then the Ek part equals 0.015 while the left equals 0.15 so maybe imd oing a conversion mistake but i chekced i don't see where :S:S:S

hmm come on guys I am sure someones knows what I am doing wrong this is grade 12physics :S :S :S

Is it that hard? or no one wants to help lool..

salman213 said:
Is it that hard? or no one wants to help lool..

there has been many many problems of this kind posting during these weeks. We who hang around on this forum have studies to do ourselves and can not help everyone all the time.

1. find out how much potential energy there is in the spring when pulled back in the initial position.

2. All this energy is then reformed as kinetic energy + friction work.

3. Find out the work done by the friction, if the force is given and the lenght, what is then the work done by the friction.

4. The energy remained is kinetic energy of bullet.

2. Ek = 1/2mv^2
Ee = 1/2kx^2
W = F*d

3. DeltaEe = DeltaEk + W

1/2kx^2 - F*d = 1/2mv^2

1/2(1.72 x 10^3)(0.014)^2 - (0.13*0.131) = 1/2(0.00941)(v)^2
v = 5.67 m/s

Does that look right to you? cause that's what i did and i don't get 1.8m/s which is supposedly the right answer

I checked your arithmetic. I also seem to think that your equation is right. I would take it up with the prof. It's possible his answer to the review problem was wrong.

i get the same lol

alright thanks! :)

Related to Energy Conservation of a toy gun

What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

How does energy conservation apply to a toy gun?

A toy gun converts potential energy, stored in the spring or elastic band, into kinetic energy when the trigger is pulled. The kinetic energy propels the projectile forward. Energy conservation states that the total energy of the system, including potential and kinetic energy, remains the same throughout this process.

What factors affect the energy conservation of a toy gun?

The design and materials of the toy gun, such as the type of spring or elastic band used, can affect the amount of potential energy stored and the efficiency of converting it into kinetic energy. External factors, such as air resistance and friction, can also impact the conservation of energy in a toy gun.

Why is energy conservation important for a toy gun?

Energy conservation is important for a toy gun because it ensures that the gun is able to consistently function and propel the projectile with the same force. If energy is lost due to inefficient design or external factors, the toy gun may not perform as expected.

How can energy conservation be improved in a toy gun?

To improve energy conservation in a toy gun, designers can use materials and designs that allow for more efficient conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy. Minimizing external factors, such as air resistance and friction, can also help to improve energy conservation. Regular maintenance and proper use of the toy gun can also contribute to better energy conservation.