Energy Conservation applied to Earth's surface

In summary: Thus, the object must be launched with a speed of 7.91*10^3 m/s in order to reach a height of 6.38*10^6 m above the Earth's surface.
garr6120

Homework Statement

With what initial speed must an object be projected vertically upward from the surface of Earshot rise to a maximum height equal to Earth's radius? (neglect air resistance.) Apply energy conservation.

Homework Equations

##E_{k_1}+E_{g_1}=E_{k_2}+E_{g_2}##, however since ##E_{g_1}=0## and ##E_{k_2}=0##,
the equation is ##E_{k_1}=E_{g_2}##.
##E_{k_1}=\frac{mv^2}2##
##E_{g_2}=mgh##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\frac{mv^2}2=mgh##
##v=\sqrt{2gh}##
I know that the maximum height of the object is ##6.38*10^6 m##
I do not know if this is the right formula that i am using because i get the wrong answer.
The answer is supposed to be 7.91*10^3 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
garr6120 said:

Homework Statement

With what initial speed must an object be projected vertically upward from the surface of Earshot rise to a maximum height equal to Earth's radius? (neglect air resistance.) Apply energy conservation.

Homework Equations

##E_{k_1}+E_{g_1}=E_{k_2}+E_{g_2}##, however since ##E_{g_1}=0## and ##E_{k_2}=0##,
##E_{k_1}=\frac{mv^2}2##
##E_{g_2}=mgh##

##\frac{mv^2}2=mgh##
##v=\sqrt{2gh}##
I do not know if this is the right formula that i am using because i get the wrong answer.
mgh for gravitational PE only applies to bodies close to the surface of the Earth. Since this problem involves a distance that is double the Earth's radius you should revert to Newton's general formula.

garr6120 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

##E_{k_1}=\frac{mv^2}2##
##E_{g_2}=mgh##

##\frac{mv^2}2=mgh##
##v=\sqrt{2gh}##
garr6120 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

##E_{k_1}=\frac{mv^2}2##
##E_{g_2}=mgh##

##\frac{mv^2}2=mgh##
##v=\sqrt{2gh}##

LCE: Ek1= Eg2
mv^2/2 = -Gmem/re + alt
Where m=mass of the object and
me=mass of the earth
Alt= distance above Earth's surface

You'll see that m cancels out so ur left with

V^2 = -Gme/re + re
U rearrange to get
V= √ 2Gme/2 re

Related to Energy Conservation applied to Earth's surface

1. What is energy conservation applied to Earth's surface?

Energy conservation applied to Earth's surface refers to the practice of reducing energy consumption and waste on the Earth's surface in order to preserve natural resources and reduce negative impacts on the environment.

2. Why is energy conservation important for Earth's surface?

Energy conservation is important for Earth's surface because it helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, preserve natural resources, and protect the environment for future generations.

3. How can individuals contribute to energy conservation on Earth's surface?

Individuals can contribute to energy conservation on Earth's surface by making small changes in their daily habits such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, and choosing energy-efficient appliances and products.

4. What role do renewable energy sources play in energy conservation on Earth's surface?

Renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, and hydro power, play a crucial role in energy conservation on Earth's surface. These sources produce clean and renewable energy, reducing the need for fossil fuels and their negative impacts on the environment.

5. How does energy conservation on Earth's surface impact global climate change?

Energy conservation on Earth's surface can help mitigate the effects of global climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions. By reducing energy consumption and using renewable energy sources, we can slow down the rate of climate change and protect our planet's delicate balance.