Energy conservation (2 carts and a spring)

In summary, the two carts have a total energy of 22.5J. However, because the momentum of the carts is not changed, the total momentum is still 0. Therefore, the carts have a speed of 22.5m/s.
mujadeo

Homework Statement

A massless spring of spring constant 20 N/m is placed between two carts. Cart 1 has a mass M1 = 5 kg and Cart 2 has a mass M2 = 2 kg. The carts are pushed toward one another until the spring is compressed a distance 1.5 m. The carts are then released and the spring pushes them apart. After the carts are free of the spring, what are their speeds?

Homework Equations

I am using K_f + U_f = K-i + U_i
Why doesn't it work?

The Attempt at a Solution

OK here's what I know

U_i = 1/2k delta s^2
= 22.5J

K_i = 0 (because object initially not moving)

U_f = 0 (because carts now moving)

K_f = 1/2 mv^2
Energy is conserved, so 1/2mv^2 must = 22.5J.
Also, 22.5J is the kinetic energy of BOTH carts

So 22.5J = K (of cart 1) + K (of cart 2)

so that leaves me with 2 unknowns in each equation for each cart?

1/2mv^2 (cart 1) = (some amount of 22.5J)

1/2mv^2 (cart 2) = (some amount of 22.5J)

Please Help,

(Thanks)
(ALSO, I do understand that potential E is converting to kinetic E and the amount is conseved
and also that momentum is conserved)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why doesn't it work?

Conservaiton of energy always works... so does Conservation of momentum...
Since you already have one equation with two unknown, i.e.
[tex] 22.5 = 1/2m_1v_1^2 + 1/2m_2v_2^2 [/tex]
why don't you apply the conservation of momentum to add one more equation to the problem and make it become 2eqn 2 unkn...

OK but how could it have initial momentum if its not moving initially ?/
p=mv (v=0)
cause that would mean momentum not conserved right?

Last edited:
Okay... that's mean the initial momentum p = 0...
And the final momentum depends on two object moving toward opposite direction, that's mean
[tex] m_1v_1 = m_2v_2 [/tex]

understand?>

OH, so in opposite directions so they must add to zero?

They are in opposite direction, so one must be positive while the other one must be negative, let's say v1 is moving to the positive direction, that's mean v2 must be negative... i.e.

[tex] m_1v_1 + m_2(-v_2) = 0[/tex]
[tex] m_1v_1 = m_2v_2 [/tex]

SO if I have
22.5 = 1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2m2v2^2
and
m1v1 = m2v2

and set them equal to each other:

m1v1^2 + m2v2^2 - 45 = m1v1 - m2v2

I am still left with v1 + v2 = (some number) after all the algebra (unless my algebras bad)
??

Bad algebra indeed.
You have two equations and two unknowns, this can be solved.
You can easily use the second equation (momentum) to eliminate one of the variables in the first equation (energy) and to solve this equation then.

It is a common problem in physics: you have the total energy in a frame of reference where the total momentum is zero.
Another example of this problem is the recoil of a gun. If you think of it, you see it is the same problem.
In particle physics, when a particle (U238 e.g.) decays in two fragments, the total energy of the reaction (spontaneous fission) is split in the fragments, but the total momentum is not changed (zero if in the proper frame).

Write down the general solution to this problem (not only your specific numbers) and analyse it, it is interresting.

Last edited:

Related to Energy conservation (2 carts and a spring)

What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation refers to the principle that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. In the context of 2 carts and a spring, it means that the total amount of energy (kinetic and potential) in the system remains constant throughout the experiment.

How does the spring store energy?

The spring stores energy in the form of potential energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its position or condition. When the spring is compressed, it stores potential energy. When released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the carts to move.

What factors affect the energy conservation in this experiment?

The main factors that affect energy conservation in this experiment are the mass and velocity of the carts, and the stiffness of the spring. These factors determine the amount of kinetic and potential energy in the system, and how it is transferred between the carts and the spring.

Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important because it allows us to better understand the laws of physics and how energy behaves. It also helps us to find more efficient and sustainable ways to use and conserve energy, which is crucial for the health of our planet and future generations.

How can energy conservation be applied in everyday life?

In everyday life, energy conservation can be applied in various ways such as turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, using public transportation or carpooling, and using renewable energy sources. These actions can help reduce our overall energy consumption and contribute to a more sustainable future.