Energy combined with Circular Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a small box of mass m sitting on a wedge with an angle θ and fixed to a spring with a spring constant k and a length L. The wedge rotates with an angular velocity ω around the vertical axis, and the equilibrium position of the box and the conditions for equilibrium are being considered. The conversation also mentions using energy conservation and circular motion to solve the problem, but the latter is recommended as a more helpful approach. It is also mentioned that the spring must be either stretched or compressed due to the rotation, and Hooke's Law can be used to express the tension in the spring in terms of its extension.
phyzz

Homework Statement

Consider a small box of mass m sitting on a wedge with an angle θ and fixed to a spring
with a spring constant k and a length in a non-stretched state L. The wedge
rotates with an angular velocity ω around the vertical axis. Find the equilibrium
position of the box and discuss the conditions when such equilibrium is possible and when it is impossible. The box can move only in the direction along the wedge slope and cannot move in the perpendicular direction (e.g. it is on a rail)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried by solving total energy at point A (where the spring is unstretched) = total energy at point B (where the spring is streched by a maximum amount) i.e.:

[x is the extension of the spring down the slope]
[va, vb = velocities at point A and B respectively]

1/2m(va)^2 = -mg(L + x)sinθ + 1/2m(vb)^2 + 1/2kx^2

Then I tried to solve using circular motion and F = ma by taking up the slope as my positive direction:

[T denotes tension in the spring]

T - mgsinθ = mL(ω)^2

where ω = v/L

then I just assumed there is no tension when the spring is unstretched (?)

and came up with va = -gsinθ/L

Don't know how to carry on...

I'm seeing this question for the second time in two years and it's super frustrating

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your problem description isn't complete, which makes it a little hard to comment precisely. Is the bottom or the top of the ramp at the axis of rotation? Is the spring attached to the top or bottom of the ramp? Is θ the angle to the horizontal or to the vertical?

That said, I think that energy conservation isn't particularly helpful here - there must be a motor or some such doing work on the system to make it spin, so you can't conserve energy without knowing what that's doing. Better to use the forces, Luke.

Why did you assume that the spring wasn't stretched? Surely it would be either stretched or compressed by the rotation. Are you familiar with the expression for the tension in a spring in terms of its extension (Hooke's Law)? Look it up if necessary, then sub into your force equation. Think about whether or not you need to modify the other terms.

Post your working and the answers to the questions in my first paragraph if you need any more help.

Related to Energy combined with Circular Motion

1. What is the relationship between energy and circular motion?

In circular motion, an object moves in a circular path around a central point. This type of motion requires a constant force towards the center of the circle, known as centripetal force. Energy is needed to maintain this force and keep the object in circular motion. The higher the energy, the faster the object will move in its circular path.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to circular motion?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In the case of circular motion, the energy of the object can be converted between kinetic energy (energy of motion) and potential energy (energy due to position) as it moves around the circle. However, the total energy of the system remains constant.

3. What is the role of friction in energy combined with circular motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and is present in all types of motion, including circular motion. In circular motion, friction can act as a source of energy loss, converting some of the object's kinetic energy into heat. This can cause the object to slow down and eventually stop its circular motion.

4. How does the radius of the circle affect the energy in circular motion?

The radius of the circle has a direct effect on the energy in circular motion. According to the formula for centripetal force, the force required to maintain circular motion is inversely proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that a smaller radius will require a greater force and therefore more energy to maintain circular motion compared to a larger radius.

5. Can energy be transferred to and from an object in circular motion?

Yes, energy can be transferred to and from an object in circular motion through various means. For example, energy can be transferred to the object through a change in its velocity or by applying a force. Conversely, energy can be transferred from the object through friction or by changing its height in relation to the central point of the circle.