Endpoint problems & eigenvalues

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the eigenvalues in a differential equation problem. The initial values are given and the solution manual is referenced, but the individual is struggling with understanding how to set up the problem. They provide their current progress and ask for guidance. The conversation ends with the suggestion to solve for the eigenvalues by setting up and solving a trigonometric equation.
cue928

Homework Statement

y'' + (lambda)y = 0, y'(0) = 0, y(1) = 0
We are told that all eigenvalues are nonnegative.

Even with looking at the solution manual, I am unsure how to start setting these up. I've been starting by doing the following:
y(x) = A cos cx + B sin dx
y'(x) = -Ac sin(cx) + Bd cos(dx)
Subbing in the initial values:
y'(0)=0: 0 = B
This leaves y(x) = A cos (cx)
But this is also where I'm breaking down. I understand from y(1) = 0 that I am looking for a value of c such that the result is 0?

I mean, what should I be looking for on setting these up? That problem seems relatively straight forward but the next one I tried, y''+(lambda)y = 0, y(-pi) = 0, y(pi) = 0, has me baffled. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]m^2+\lambda=0\Rightarrow m^2=-\lambda\Rightarrow m=\pm i\sqrt{\lambda}[/tex]

[tex]y=C_1\cos(x\sqrt{\lambda})+C_2\sin(x\sqrt{\lambda})[/tex]

We obtain the basics solutions from this:
[tex]y_1(0)=1, \ y_1'(0)=0, \ y_2(0)=0, \ y_2'(0)=1[/tex]

[tex]y_1(0): \ C_1=1, \ y_1'(0): \ C_2=0, \ y_2(0): \ C_1=0, \ C_2=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\lambda}}[/tex]

[tex]y=y_1+y_2=A\cos(x\sqrt{\lambda})+\frac{B\sin(x\sqrt{\lambda})}{\sqrt{\lambda}}[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

Last edited:
To be honest, that doesn't look like anything I saw in the solution manual or notes. I guess what I am trying to understand is what the end game is on this. What am I looking for?

From where I left off, we now apply the conditions to determine the eigenfunction.

[tex]y=A\cos(x\sqrt{\lambda})+\frac{B\sin(x\sqrt{\lambda})}{\sqrt{\lambda}}[/tex]

[tex]y'=B\cos(x\sqrt{x})-A\sqrt{\lambda}\sin(x\sqrt{\lambda})[/tex]

[tex]y'(0): \ B=0[/tex]

[tex]y(1): \ A\cos(\sqrt{\lambda})=0[/tex]

Now, solve

[tex]\cos(\sqrt{\lambda_n})=0[/tex]

Related to Endpoint problems & eigenvalues

1. What is an endpoint problem in mathematics?

An endpoint problem in mathematics refers to a situation where a function or equation is not well-defined at one or more points, typically at the endpoints of a given interval. This can lead to difficulties in solving the problem or analyzing the behavior of the function.

2. How are endpoint problems related to eigenvalues?

Endpoint problems and eigenvalues are often related because the presence of an endpoint problem can affect the determination of eigenvalues. In particular, an endpoint problem can change the boundary conditions of a problem, which can in turn affect the eigenvalues and their corresponding eigenvectors.

3. Can endpoint problems be avoided in mathematical applications?

In some cases, endpoint problems can be avoided by choosing appropriate boundary conditions or by extending the domain of the problem. However, in certain situations, endpoint problems are inherent to the problem and cannot be avoided.

4. How do endpoint problems affect the solutions of mathematical equations?

Endpoint problems can have a significant impact on the solutions of mathematical equations. They can lead to non-uniqueness of solutions, discontinuities, or other irregularities in the behavior of the function. In some cases, endpoint problems can also result in no solution existing for the given equation.

5. What are some common techniques for dealing with endpoint problems?

Some common techniques for dealing with endpoint problems include using different boundary conditions, extending the domain of the problem, or transforming the problem into an equivalent one with no endpoint problems. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate solutions for endpoint problems.