Endomorphisms of Direct Sums - Berrick and Keating - Exercise 2.1.6 (i)

In summary: M (and we have x = (m_1 + 0) and y = (0 + m_2) for some m_1 \in M_1 and m_2 \in M_2) we have \pi_1\mu(x + y) = \pi_1\mu(x) + \pi_1\mu(y) ?PeterIn summary, Exercise 2.1.6 (i) of Berrick and Keating's book An Introduction to Rings and Modules can be solved by showing that for an internal sum of right R-modules M = M_1 \oplus M_2, an endomorphism \mu of M
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Exercise 2.1.6 (i) of Berrick and Keating's book An Introduction to Rings and Modules reads as follows:Let \(\displaystyle M = M_1 \oplus M_2\), an internal sum of right \(\displaystyle R\)-modules, and let \(\displaystyle \{ \sigma_1 , \sigma_2, \pi_1 , \pi_2 \}\) be the corresponding set of inclusions and projections.

Given an endomorphism \(\displaystyle \mu\) of \(\displaystyle M\), define \(\displaystyle \mu_{ij} = \pi_i \mu \sigma_j\), an \(\displaystyle R\)-homomorphism from \(\displaystyle M_j\) to \(\displaystyle M_i, i,j = 1,2\).Show that for \(\displaystyle m = m_1 + m_2\), with \(\displaystyle m_1 \in M_1, m_2 \in M_2\) we have:

\(\displaystyle \mu(m) = ( \mu_{11}m_1 + \mu_{12}m_2) + ( \mu_{21}m_1 + \mu_{22}m_2)
\)

where \(\displaystyle \mu_{11}m_1 + \mu_{12}m_2\) is in \(\displaystyle M_1\)

and

\(\displaystyle \mu_{21}m_1 + \mu_{22}m_2\) is in \(\displaystyle M_2\)

Viewing \(\displaystyle M\) as a 'column space' \(\displaystyle \begin{bmatrix} M_1 \\ M_2 \end{bmatrix}\), show that \(\displaystyle \mu\) can be represented as a matrix \(\displaystyle \begin{bmatrix}\mu_{11} & \mu_{12} \\ \mu_{21} & \mu_{22} \end{bmatrix}.\)

Deduce that the ring of endomorphisms End(\(\displaystyle M\)) of \(\displaystyle M\) can be written as a ring of \(\displaystyle 2 \times 2\) matrices:

\(\displaystyle End(M) = \begin{bmatrix} End(M_1) & Hom(M_2, M_1) \\ Hom(M_1, M_2) & End(M_2) \end{bmatrix}\)

where \(\displaystyle Hom(M_1, M_2)\) is the set of all \(\displaystyle R\)-Module maps from \(\displaystyle M_1\) to \(\displaystyle M_2\).
Can someone please help me to get started on this exercise.

Help will be appreciated!

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Exercise 2.1.6 (i) of Berrick and Keating's book An Introduction to Rings and Modules reads as follows:Let \(\displaystyle M = M_1 \oplus M_2\), an internal sum of right \(\displaystyle R\)-modules, and let \(\displaystyle \{ \sigma_1 , \sigma_2, \pi_1 , \pi_2 \}\) be the corresponding set of inclusions and projections.

Given an endomorphism \(\displaystyle \mu\) of \(\displaystyle M\), define \(\displaystyle \mu_{ij} = \pi_i \mu \sigma_j\), an \(\displaystyle R\)-homomorphism from \(\displaystyle M_j\) to \(\displaystyle M_i, i,j = 1,2\).Show that for \(\displaystyle m = m_1 + m_2\), with \(\displaystyle m_1 \in M_1, m_2 \in M_2\) we have:

\(\displaystyle \mu(m) = ( \mu_{11}m_1 + \mu_{12}m_2) + ( \mu_{21}m_1 + \mu_{22}m_2)
\)

where \(\displaystyle \mu_{11}m_1 + \mu_{12}m_2\) is in \(\displaystyle M_1\)

and

\(\displaystyle \mu_{21}m_1 + \mu_{22}m_2\) is in \(\displaystyle M_2\)

Viewing \(\displaystyle M\) as a 'column space' \(\displaystyle \begin{bmatrix} M_1 \\ M_2 \end{bmatrix}\), show that \(\displaystyle \mu\) can be represented as a matrix \(\displaystyle \begin{bmatrix}\mu_{11} & \mu_{12} \\ \mu_{21} & \mu_{22} \end{bmatrix}.\)

Deduce that the ring of endomorphisms End(\(\displaystyle M\)) of \(\displaystyle M\) can be written as a ring of \(\displaystyle 2 \times 2\) matrices:

\(\displaystyle End(M) = \begin{bmatrix} End(M_1) & Hom(M_2, M_1) \\ Hom(M_1, M_2) & End(M_2) \end{bmatrix}\)

where \(\displaystyle Hom(M_1, M_2)\) is the set of all \(\displaystyle R\)-Module maps from \(\displaystyle M_1\) to \(\displaystyle M_2\).
Can someone please help me to get started on this exercise.

Help will be appreciated!

Peter

Suppose $\mu(m) = \mu(m_1 + m_2) = n_1 + n_2$ with $n_1 \in M_1,n_2 \in M_2$.

Now $\mu_{11}(m_1) = \pi_1\mu\sigma_1(m_1) = \pi_1\mu(m_1 + 0)$

$\mu_{12}(m_2) = \pi_1\mu\sigma_2(m_2) = \pi_1\mu(0 + m_2)$

$\mu_{21}(m_1) = \pi_2\mu\sigma_1(m_1) = \pi_2\mu(m_1 + 0)$

$\mu_{22}(m_2) = \pi_2\mu\sigma_2(m_2) = \pi_2\mu(0+m_2)$.

Thus:

$(\mu_{11}(m_1) + \mu_{12}(m_2)) + (\mu_{21}(m_1) + \mu_{22}(m_2))$

$= (\pi_1\mu(m_1 + 0) + \pi_1\mu(0 + m_2)) + (\pi_2\mu(m_1 + 0) + \pi_2\mu(0+m_2))$

$= (\pi_1\mu((m_1 + 0) + (0 + m_2)) + (\pi_2\mu((m_1 + 0) + (0 + m_2))$

$= (\pi_1\mu(m_1 + m_2)) + (\pi_2\mu(m_1 + m_2))$

$= (\pi_1\mu(m)) + (\pi_2\mu(m)) = \pi_1(n_1+n_2) + \pi_2(n_1 + n_2)$

$ = n_1 + n_2 = \mu(m)$.

Can you take it from here?

Deveno said:

Thus:

$= (\pi_1\mu(m_1 + 0) + \pi_1\mu(0 + m_2)) + (\pi_2\mu(m_1 + 0) + \pi_2\mu(0+m_2))$

$ = n_1 + n_2 = \mu(m)$.

Thanks for the start Deveno ... gives me confidence to continue ...

Will try to progress the solution a bit ...

Peter

Deveno said:

Thus:

$ = n_1 + n_2 = \mu(m)$.

Hi Deveno ... just a minor clarification:

You write:

" ... ... Suppose $\mu(m) = \mu(m_1 + m_2) = n_1 + n_2$ with $n_1 \in M_1,n_2 \in M_2$. ... ... "

How can we be sure that \(\displaystyle m\) mapped under \(\displaystyle \mu\) gives us (neatly) one element from \(\displaystyle M_1\) and one element from \(\displaystyle M_2\)?

Is it because \(\displaystyle \mu (m) = n\) for some \(\displaystyle n \in M\) and given the nature of the direct sum we have \(\displaystyle n = n_1 + n_2\) where \(\displaystyle n_1 \in M_1\) and \(\displaystyle n_2 \in M_2\)? Can you confirm that this is the reason?

Second clarification:

If we replaced \(\displaystyle (m_1 + m_2)\) by \(\displaystyle (m_1, m_2)\) in the proof/solution , would everything still hold? [I am thinking that given the nature of direct sums this would be OK.]

Peter

Deveno said:

Thus:

$ = n_1 + n_2 = \mu(m)$.

Just another minor clarification, Deveno ... ...

In your working above, you put

\(\displaystyle \pi_1\mu(m_1 + 0) + \pi_1\mu(0 + m_2) \)

equal to

\(\displaystyle \pi_1\mu((m_1 + 0) + (0 + m_2)) \)

Is the justification for this that \(\displaystyle \pi_1\) is a module homomorphism, \(\displaystyle \mu\) is also and so their composition is a module homomorphism?

Peter
Peter

Peter said:
Hi Deveno ... just a minor clarification:

You write:

" ... ... Suppose $\mu(m) = \mu(m_1 + m_2) = n_1 + n_2$ with $n_1 \in M_1,n_2 \in M_2$. ... ... "

How can we be sure that \(\displaystyle m\) mapped under \(\displaystyle \mu\) gives us (neatly) one element from \(\displaystyle M_1\) and one element from \(\displaystyle M_2\)?

Is it because \(\displaystyle \mu (m) = n\) for some \(\displaystyle n \in M\) and given the nature of the direct sum we have \(\displaystyle n = n_1 + n_2\) where \(\displaystyle n_1 \in M_1\) and \(\displaystyle n_2 \in M_2\)? Can you confirm that this is the reason?

Second clarification:

If we replaced \(\displaystyle (m_1 + m_2)\) by \(\displaystyle (m_1, m_2)\) in the proof/solution , would everything still hold? [I am thinking that given the nature of direct sums this would be OK.]

Peter

We have an INTERNAL direct sum so any element $m \in M$ has a UNIQUE expression as $m_1 + m_2$. This also holds for the element $\mu(m) \in M$.

So, yes, you are correct.

The "side by side" writing of $m_1 + m_2$ as $(m_1,m_2)$ is for an EXTERNAL direct product. We don't need to do that, here.
Peter said:
Just another minor clarification, Deveno ... ...

In your working above, you put

\(\displaystyle \pi_1\mu(m_1 + 0) + \pi_1\mu(0 + m_2) \)

equal to

\(\displaystyle \pi_1\mu((m_1 + 0) + (0 + m_2)) \)

Is the justification for this that \(\displaystyle \pi_1\) is a module homomorphism, \(\displaystyle \mu\) is also and so their composition is a module homomorphism?

Peter
Peter

Yep.

Deveno said:
We have an INTERNAL direct sum so any element $m \in M$ has a UNIQUE expression as $m_1 + m_2$. This also holds for the element $\mu(m) \in M$.

So, yes, you are correct.

The "side by side" writing of $m_1 + m_2$ as $(m_1,m_2)$ is for an EXTERNAL direct product. We don't need to do that, here.

Yep.

Thanks Deveno ... hmmm ... missed the 'unique' bit ... thanks for the reminder ...

Peter

Deveno said:

Thus:

$ = n_1 + n_2 = \mu(m)$.

You write:

" ... ... Can you take it from here? ... ..."

Well, the second part of the exercise looks pretty straightforward ... unless I am misinterpreting it ...

The second part of the exercise states:

"Viewing \(\displaystyle M\) as a 'column space' \(\displaystyle \begin{bmatrix} M_1 \\ M_2 \end{bmatrix}\), show that \(\displaystyle \mu\) can be represented as a matrix \(\displaystyle \begin{bmatrix}\mu_{11} & \mu_{12} \\ \mu_{21} & \mu_{22} \end{bmatrix}.\)"

If we take \(\displaystyle m = \begin{bmatrix} m_1 \\ m_2 \end{bmatrix} \)

where \(\displaystyle m_1 \in M_1\) and \(\displaystyle m_2 \in M_2\)

then we can represent \(\displaystyle \mu(m_1)\) as follows:

\(\displaystyle \mu (m_1) = \begin{bmatrix}\mu_{11} & \mu_{12} \\ \mu_{21} & \mu_{22} \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} m_1 \\ m_2 \end{bmatrix} \)

\(\displaystyle = \begin{bmatrix} \mu_{11}m_1 + \mu_{12}m_2 \\ \mu_{21}m_1 + \mu_{22}m_2 \end{bmatrix}\)

where \(\displaystyle \mu_{11}m_1 + \mu_{12}m_2 \in M_1\) and \(\displaystyle \mu_{21}m_1 + \mu_{22}m_2 \in M_2\)

Can you confirm that this is a satisfactory answer to this part of the exercise.

Peter

Related to Endomorphisms of Direct Sums - Berrick and Keating - Exercise 2.1.6 (i)

1. What are endomorphisms of direct sums?

Endomorphisms of direct sums are a type of linear transformation that maps a direct sum of vector spaces onto itself. In other words, it is a function that takes in a combination of vectors from different vector spaces and outputs another combination of vectors from the same vector spaces.

2. What is Exercise 2.1.6 (i) in Berrick and Keating's book?

Exercise 2.1.6 (i) in Berrick and Keating's book is a problem that asks readers to prove that the endomorphisms of direct sums of vector spaces can be written as a direct sum of endomorphisms of the individual vector spaces.

3. How do endomorphisms of direct sums relate to linear transformations?

Endomorphisms of direct sums are a specific type of linear transformation. They are unique in that they only map a direct sum of vector spaces onto itself, while other linear transformations can map any vector space onto another.

4. Are there any real-world applications for endomorphisms of direct sums?

Yes, endomorphisms of direct sums have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, they can be used to model the behavior of complex systems that involve interactions between multiple components.

5. Are there any special properties of endomorphisms of direct sums?

Endomorphisms of direct sums have many interesting properties, including the fact that they can be decomposed into smaller endomorphisms of the individual vector spaces. They also have relationships with other types of linear transformations, such as automorphisms and isomorphisms.