Emitting Photon and Energy Change

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spontaneous emission in quantum theory and whether it can be predicted or not. The writer of the book '101 Quantum Questions' states that the behavior of electrons absorbing and releasing energy cannot be predicted in individual cases. The conversation also touches on the uncertainty principle and the probabilistic nature of quantum behavior. It is mentioned that spontaneous emission is a consequence of quantum theory and has not been disproven through observation, so it is not considered a problem. The conversation ends with a reference to a Wikipedia page for more information on the factors affecting the rate of emission.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I know that my title is not very suitable for this question, but I couldn't find right words to describe the situation.I read a book called '101 Quantum Questions ' and there writer states that when electron absorbs energy and goes higher energy level, we don't know when and where it will come to lower energy level.

1-Is this true ? (Am I interpreted this in a right way ? )
2-Is this problem solved ?
3-If its solved any references, If its not any ideas,referances about this issue so that I can search more deeply ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
2-Is this problem solved ?

I'm not sure everyone would call this a problem. Much quantum behavior is governed by statistical behavior and cannot be predicted in individual cases. This is one of those.

DrChinese said:
I'm not sure everyone would call this a problem. Much quantum behavior is governed by statistical behavior and cannot be predicted in individual cases. This is one of those.
I see...the book kind of represented in that way, maybe its about uncertanity principle ? But in other aspects make sense that its statistical and not a problem.

DrChinese said:
In physics a theory gets problems is it contradicts observational facts, but that's not the case here. Spontaneous emission is a probabilistic process, and no observation has disproven this consequence of QT. So there's no problem.

vanhees71 said:
In physics a theory gets problems is it contradicts observational facts, but that's not the case here. Spontaneous emission is a probabilistic process, and no observation has disproven this consequence of QT. So there's no problem.
Make sense, I thought in a classical way that there must a certain answer to this problem but of course there's not..

Related to Emitting Photon and Energy Change

1. What is the difference between emitting a photon and an energy change?

Emitting a photon refers to the release of a particle of light, while an energy change can refer to any type of energy transfer or transformation. Emitting a photon is a specific type of energy change that involves the release of electromagnetic energy.

2. How does emitting a photon affect the energy of an atom or molecule?

Emitting a photon decreases the energy of an atom or molecule. This is because the energy of the photon is equal to the difference in energy between the upper and lower energy states of the atom or molecule. When the photon is emitted, the energy state of the atom or molecule decreases.

3. What factors determine the frequency of an emitted photon?

The frequency of an emitted photon is determined by the energy difference between the upper and lower energy states of an atom or molecule. This energy difference is affected by factors such as the atomic or molecular structure, temperature, and external forces.

4. Can an atom or molecule emit multiple photons at once?

Yes, an atom or molecule can emit multiple photons at once. This can occur when the energy difference between the upper and lower energy states is large enough to release multiple photons, or when multiple energy transitions occur simultaneously.

5. How is the energy of an emitted photon related to its wavelength?

The energy of an emitted photon is directly proportional to its frequency, which is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that higher energy photons have shorter wavelengths, while lower energy photons have longer wavelengths.