Emission lines of flourescent bulbs

In summary: So if you have access to a spectrometer and are interested in this kind of thing, you might want to look into purchasing a CF bulb and measuring the emission spectrum.
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hey

does anyone know of a site where I can get the wavelengths of the strong emission lines of standard compact flourescent bulbs? It's very similar to mercury emission lines, but not the same exactly.

Physics news on Phys.org
I went looking on-line and most sites do not go into such detail. There may be ISO or ASTM standards on the color or chromaticity of these lights, but I have not found a specific table of frequencies.

If you have access to a optical spectrometer, you might consider buying a compact fluroescent lamp and actually measuring the emission lines.

The CF bulbs are plentiful. It's the spectrometer that's harder to get!

I found this document which contains descriptions of various kinds of light bulbs.

http://www.powerhousetv.com/stellent2/groups/public/documents/pub/phtv_000476.pdf

The long fluorscent bulbs contain mercury and 'inert gases', e.g. Ne, Ar, and the phosphor coating on the inside of the glass. So the emission spectrum will be that of the mercury, inert gases, and whatever phosphor which diffuses visible light and interacts with the ultraviolet light from mercury to produce its own visible light. The relative intensity of the lines will depend on the energy of the electrons in the current, the temperature and the composition (proportions) of Hg and inert gases.

Unfortunately, I did not find an emission spectrum of compact fluorescent bulbs, and I suspect such a spectrum will be unique to the particular model. I also imagine that the precise spectrum is considered proprietary, because the best color rendering would be considered an economic (competitve) advantage.

Perhaps you should email the manufacturers and ask them directly for the information, which unfortunately may take some time.

There is also another document which discusses color lighting standards for photography, but I don't know how useful it would be.

http://www.colour.org/tc8-04/Standards/FDIS3664.pdf

or contact someone at:

COMMISSION INTERNATIONALE DE L'ECLAIRAGE
INTERNATIONAL COMMISSION ON ILLUMINATION
INTERNATIONALE BELEUCHTUNGSKOMMISSION
http://www.colour.org

Meanwhile, since you have aroused my scientific curiosity, I'll keep looking. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help. After an "advanced" google search, I have found a site that does answer my question:
http://www.assumption.edu/users/bniece/CHE131/LineSpectra/Index.html
It has spec data on a number of gasses as well as CF and filament bulbs.

Your point about proprietary spectra is a good one, and I will keep it in mind.

That is cool. You can see how the CFB spectrum attempts to replicate the incandescent spectrum, but the CFB more or less uses a discrete as opposed to continuous spectrum.

It would be interesting to compare spectrum of different bulbs and compare them with a mercury lamp.

One of the experiments in an experimental physics class was to use a spectrometer to observe the emission spectra of different elements including the mercury spectrum. We also had to determine a mystery composition.

Related to Emission lines of flourescent bulbs

1. What are emission lines of fluorescent bulbs?

Emission lines of fluorescent bulbs refer to the specific wavelengths of light that are emitted when electrons within the bulb's gas-filled tube collide with the mercury vapor atoms, causing them to emit ultraviolet (UV) light. This UV light is then converted into visible light by the fluorescent coating on the inside of the bulb.

2. How do emission lines affect the color of light produced by fluorescent bulbs?

The specific emission lines of a fluorescent bulb determine the color of light it produces. Each element in the gas-filled tube emits light at a different wavelength, resulting in a unique combination of colors that make up the white light produced by the bulb.

3. What is the difference between broad and narrow emission lines in fluorescent bulbs?

Broad emission lines in fluorescent bulbs refer to a wide range of wavelengths being emitted, resulting in a broader spectrum of colors in the light produced. Narrow emission lines, on the other hand, refer to a more specific range of wavelengths being emitted, resulting in a more focused and consistent color of light.

4. How are the emission lines of fluorescent bulbs measured?

The emission lines of fluorescent bulbs are measured using a spectrophotometer, which is a device that separates the different wavelengths of light emitted by the bulb and measures their intensity. This allows for the precise determination of the emission lines and the color of light produced by the bulb.

5. Can the emission lines of fluorescent bulbs be manipulated?

Yes, the emission lines of fluorescent bulbs can be manipulated by changing the gas mixture within the bulb, as well as the type and amount of fluorescent coating used. This allows for the production of different colors of light, such as warm or cool white, and even colored light in some cases.