EM Wave Equation in Higher Dimensions: Gravitation Text

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations 22.19d and 22.25 from the book "Gravitation" for discussing the electromagnetic wave equation and its applicability in different dimensions. The speaker is wondering if these equations hold true for dimensions other than 3+1 and if they are physically meaningful in curved space-times. The speaker also mentions the need for differential geometry and topology in higher dimensions.
snowstorm69
Caution: I'm new at this stuff.
On page 573 of Gravitation (Misner, Thorne, Wheeler), they write down what I think is the electromagnetic wave equation for a discussion on Optics, "Next insert the vector potential (22.25) into the source-free wave equation (22.19d):"
I am wondering if the equations mentioned, 22.19d, and 22.25, are applicable to any dimension, for example 4+1 dimensions as in Kaluza-Klein theory, and higher dimensions?

I ask this because I was wondering how to write the good ole equation for a propagating electromagnetic wave in higher dimensions, such as 4+1 or higher. I have read that the curl cannot be written in some higher dimensions in the customary way at least, without going to differential geometry and topology. And so I was wondering if these 2 equations, written with tensors, hold for higher dimensions?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematically and notationally, the form of the de Rham wave equation 22.19d would make sense in 4+1 dimensions ( or more generally in D+1 with D>3 ) just as well as it does in 3+1 dimensions; all that changes is the range of values that the indices cover. The altogether more interesting and much harder to answer question is whether this wave equation is physically meaningful in anything else but (3+1) dimensional space-time, i.e. whether it is the correct model for the propagation of electromagnetic waves in curved space-times of that dimensionality. But I will leave this to the experts here to address.

Related to EM Wave Equation in Higher Dimensions: Gravitation Text

1. What is the EM wave equation in higher dimensions?

The EM wave equation in higher dimensions is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of electromagnetic waves in a space with more than three dimensions. It is an extension of the traditional 3-dimensional wave equation, taking into account the additional dimensions predicted by theories such as string theory and Kaluza-Klein theory.

2. How does the EM wave equation in higher dimensions relate to gravitation?

The EM wave equation in higher dimensions is closely related to gravitation because it is believed that gravity can also be described by higher-dimensional equations. In fact, the EM wave equation is a key component of many theories attempting to unify gravity with the other fundamental forces of nature.

3. What implications does the EM wave equation in higher dimensions have for our understanding of the universe?

The EM wave equation in higher dimensions has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that our traditional 3-dimensional view of the world may be limited and that there may be hidden dimensions that we are not aware of. It also opens up the possibility of new phenomena and interactions that could occur in these higher dimensions.

4. How is the EM wave equation in higher dimensions different from the traditional 3-dimensional wave equation?

The EM wave equation in higher dimensions is different from the traditional 3-dimensional wave equation in that it includes additional terms and variables to account for the extra dimensions. These terms can greatly impact the behavior of electromagnetic waves and may lead to new behaviors and effects not seen in 3-dimensional space.

5. What research is currently being done on the EM wave equation in higher dimensions?

There is ongoing research on the EM wave equation in higher dimensions, with scientists exploring its implications for various theories, such as string theory and quantum gravity. Some are also using the equation to study the behavior of electromagnetic waves in higher-dimensional spaces, which could have practical applications in fields like telecommunications and data transmission.