EM theory and therom dynamic books

In summary: Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics by Van Wylen and Sonntag is the recommended book for the first year undergraduate physics major. The light blue book is by the same author. Lorrain and Corson, Electromagnetic Fields and Waves, and the authors have another book, Fundamentals of ELECTROMAGNETICS PHENOMENA.
Gamma
Hello,

I need to purchase two books, for EM theory and Thermodynamics. I have briefly used couple of books years back and I can't seem to remember their titles or author. I slightly remember that the EM book was a blue color with a lots of information for first year - 4th year undergraduates majoring in physics.

As for the thermodynamics, the author is Sears .? or something.

Is anybody familier with these books. Please let me know. If you are not, then can you give me your opinion on what books are good.

Thanks a bunch,

Gamma.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics by Van Wylen and Sonntag is the recomended book in my college for the first year undergrad.

I used a light blue book in EM about 30 years ago :biggrin:

Lorrain and Corson, Electromagnetic Fields and Waves

and the authors also have another book

Fundamentals of ELECTROMAGNETICS PHENOMENA, by Paul Lorrain, Dale R. Corson and François Lorrain. and a website - http://www.whfreeman.com/lorrain/

There is -
Francis W. Sears, Gerhard L. Salinger
Thermodynamics, Kinetic Theory, and Statistical Thermodynamics (3rd Edition) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/020106894X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Books by Francis W. Sears -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/020106894X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Disclaimer: No endorsement expressed or implied. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
siddharth said:
Fundamentals of Classical Thermodynamics by Van Wylen and Sonntag is the recomended book in my college for the first year undergrad.
I used that one about 30 years ago too. :biggrin:

30 years ago...You sure don't look like say 30+20=50. :wink:

That's the guy...Sears and Salinger for thermodynamics. I used this book for some time so I like to read the same one to refresh my memory.

About the EM,
I know.. I know there are many blue color books. Sure there were blue books 30 years ago too.

while I was lying down this afternoon my memory slightly came back. I think the author's name is some thing like Wengness??

Thanks.

Gamma.

Related to EM theory and therom dynamic books

1. What is the difference between EM theory and thermodynamics?

EM theory, or electromagnetic theory, is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electric and magnetic fields. It explains how these fields are created, how they interact with matter, and how they propagate through space. On the other hand, thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the transfer of heat and energy between systems. It focuses on the macroscopic properties of matter, such as temperature and pressure, and how they relate to energy and work.

2. What are the key principles of EM theory?

The key principles of EM theory include Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, and the principle of superposition, which states that the combined effect of multiple fields at a point is the sum of the individual effects of each field. Other important principles include the concept of electromagnetic waves, the properties of various materials in response to electric and magnetic fields, and the principle of conservation of energy.

3. What is the importance of EM theory in modern technology?

EM theory is crucial in understanding and developing technologies that rely on the principles of electromagnetism, such as electricity, magnetism, and light. This includes everything from computers and smartphones to medical equipment and communication devices. It also plays a significant role in the fields of engineering, materials science, and astronomy.

4. How does thermodynamics relate to EM theory?

Thermodynamics is closely related to EM theory as it deals with the transfer of energy, which can be in the form of heat or electromagnetism. In fact, the laws of thermodynamics are based on the fundamental principles of conservation of energy and the relationship between heat and work, which are also crucial concepts in EM theory. Additionally, thermodynamics is essential in understanding and designing efficient energy systems, which often involve the conversion of energy between different forms, including electromagnetism.

5. What are some recommended books for learning about EM theory and thermodynamics?

Some recommended books for learning about EM theory include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, and "Principles of Electromagnetism" by Matthew N.O. Sadiku. For thermodynamics, some popular books include "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Yunus Cengel and Michael Boles, "Fundamentals of Thermodynamics" by Claus Borgnakke and Richard E. Sonntag, and "Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics" by J.M. Smith, H.C. Van Ness, and M.M. Abbott.