EM Induction:current in one coil inducing current in another

In summary, two coils P and Q are placed close to one another, and the current in coil P is varied over time. The induced voltage in coil Q is given by the mutual inductance multiplied by the time derivative of the current in coil P. The induced emf graph has a spike in the opposite direction for each change in current direction, with a horizontal line in between.
Taniaz

Homework Statement

Two coils P and Q are placed close to one another, as shown in the first figure attached. The current in coil P is now varied as shown in the second figure. Show the variation with time of the reading of the voltmeter connected to coil Q for time t = 0 to time t = t 2.

Homework Equations

E = (delta N*flux) / (delta t) and Lenz's law regarding directions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to make a connection between the gradient of the I vs t graph to the V vs t graph but I didn't quite understand why the gradient of the I vs t graph is the voltage. If this is the case, I get the graph to first be horizontal in the negative region and then there's a spike upwards just before t1 and then a spike downwards towards t1 then it's zero from t1 till t2. The spikes are due to the change in current.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-03-12 at 19.35.21.png
    Screenshot 2017-03-12 at 19.35.21.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 402
  • Screenshot 2017-03-12 at 19.35.35.png
    Screenshot 2017-03-12 at 19.35.35.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
Why two spikes ?

How is it the gradient? It's one spike because of the change in current

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-03-12 at 21.50.38.png
    Screenshot 2017-03-12 at 21.50.38.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 436
Taniaz said:
How is it the gradient? It's one spike because of the change in current
Voltage induced in coil Q will be M*diP/dt, where M is the mutual inductance.
With this equation, will the voltage have a "triangular" spike?

We haven't taken this equation yet and this is the graph it gives in the mark scheme :/

Taniaz said:
We haven't taken this equation yet and this is the graph it gives in the mark scheme :/
This equation is for mutually induced emf. It is actually Faraday's law in disguise(emf =time derivative of flux linkage=constant* time derivative of current that causes the flux).

Take the derivative of current waveform in the given time intervals.

Just like the other, similar question you have seen this change in current starts with a steadily, constant rate of increase...you realize what induced emf will be the result (I would call it negative but this is not a big issue)
It looks to me that the next change is very rapid but also constant rate of change giving another emf in the opposite direction (positive in my scheme)
The final current is constant...no rate of change so zero induced emf

cnh1995 said:
This equation is for mutually induced emf. It is actually Faraday's law in disguise(emf =time derivative of flux linkage=constant* time derivative of current that causes the flux).

I don't understand how Faraday's law is equal to constant* time derivative of current?

How are flux and current related?

Mathematically I don't know how but generally speaking if you increase the rate of change of flux, the induced emf and induced current increases

Taniaz said:
Mathematically I don't know how but generally speaking if you increase the rate of change of flux, the induced emf and induced current increases
I was asking about the relation between flux linkage of a coil and the current in the coil that causes the flux. (Do not confuse it with "induced" current).

Flux is proportional to current.
Mathematically, Φ∝I and the constant of proportionality is the relevant inductance (self or mutual).

Do you now see how you can write mutually induced emf in coil Q as a function of current in coil P?

Ah ok, yes that makes sense now. Why does the induced emf graph spike upward when the current spiked upwards?

Is it because of a sudden decrease in the current?

Taniaz said:
Ah ok, yes that makes sense now. Why does the induced emf graph spike upward when the current spiked upwards?
They are considering the effect of minus sign, but it is not compulsory.

Emf is proportional to the "rate of change" of current in P. So you should consider the "slope" of the current waveform (with its sign) at various instants. During the reversal of current, the rate of change is very high (but not infinity). So there will not be a triangular spike as shown in your answer.

So initally it's just horizontal and at the end it's 0 but what is it in between if it's not a triangular spike?

Taniaz said:
So initally it's just horizontal and at the end it's 0 but what is it in between if it's not a triangular spike?
Read #7.

Oh so it's horizontal and negative for the first bit then horizontal an positive when the current decreases and finally it's horizontal on 0. (Kind of similar to a too hat function?) Will there be vertical lines between the horizontal lines?

Taniaz said:
Will there be vertical lines between the horizontal lines?
Yes.

Thank you :)

Related to EM Induction:current in one coil inducing current in another

1. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which an electric current is generated in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This is achieved by moving a magnet or changing the current in a nearby coil, which creates a changing magnetic field that induces an electric current in the conductor.

2. What is the principle behind EM induction?

The principle behind electromagnetic induction is Faraday's law, which states that the induced electromotive force in a circuit is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit. In other words, the stronger the changing magnetic field, the greater the induced current in the conductor.

3. Can EM induction only occur between two coils?

No, EM induction can occur between any two conductors as long as there is a changing magnetic field present. This can include a magnet and a single coil, or even a moving conductor and a stationary coil.

4. How is the strength of the induced current determined?

The strength of the induced current is determined by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the resistance of the conductor.

5. What are some real-world applications of EM induction?

EM induction is used in a variety of devices, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology, electromagnetic brakes, and metal detectors.