EM Field strength and plane waves

In summary, the factor of -1/4 in the Lagrangian comes about because when you take a derivative of a square.
parton
Hi !

I've a question. Where is the connection between the (kinetic) Lagrangian [tex] - \dfrac{1}{4} F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu} [/tex] and a plane wave of the form [tex] \vec{\varepsilon} exp(i \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}) / \sqrt{V} [/tex] (the epsilon is a polarization vector) confined in a box with a finite volume V ? I should somehow "motivate" the factor [tex] - \dfrac{1}{4} [/tex] occurring in the Lagrangian by such plane waves. But I absolutely dont't have a clue how to do that. Does anyone have an idea? I hope somebody could help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Blegh. It's a helluva long road. Quickest thing to do is to fix a gauge like the Lorenz gauge, and then find out what the Hamiltonian is. The factor of -1/4 will give you a canonical Hamiltonian that is something like [tex]\int\!dx\, \left(\frac{1}{2} \mathbf{E}^2 + \frac{1}{2}|\boldsymbol\nabla \mathbf{A}|^2\right)[/tex] where [tex]E \sim \dot{A}[/tex]. The Laplacian is a vector Laplacian, in case you're wondering. I have also dropped factors of c and [tex]\epsilon_0[/tex], since I can work in units in which they are 1.

Ok, where were we? You can Fourier expand your vector potential as follows:
[tex]\mathbf{A} = \sum_\lambda \int\!\frac{dk}{(2\pi)^3} a_\lambda(\mathbf{k}) \boldsymbol{\epsilon}(\lambda)e^{i \mathbf{k}\cdot \mathbf{x} }[/tex],
where the polarization vectors are chosen such that the gauge fixing condition is satisfied (i.e., only two transverse polarizations). If you're doing this inside a box, it's a plain Fourier series, instead of an integral. If you write your Hamiltonian in terms of these, you'll obtain something like
[tex]H = \int\!dk\, \left(\frac{1}{2} p_\lambda^2 + \frac{1}{2} k^2 a_\lambda^2\right)[/tex],
where [tex]p[/tex] is the momentum conjugate to [tex]a[/tex] i.e., in the Lagrangian terminology, [tex]p = \dot{a}[/tex]. Now you get a bunch of simple harmonic oscillators.

The factors of two are just convention, really, and keep the equations nice. The original factor of 4 comes about because when you obtain the Euler Lagrange equations, you take a derivative of a square. So to "motivate" all this, you could say that each plane wave is a separate harmonic oscillator. But you'll have to do some math =)

Thank you! But is it somehow possible to explain the 1/4 factor by considering the dimensions?

I've seen something like [tex] \left[ F_{\mu \nu} F^{\mu \nu} \right] = 4 [/tex], but I don't really understand why it is equal to 4.
But if one use this, isn't it possible to somehow justify the 1/4 factor? I need a simple explanation without (much) calculations.

Related to EM Field strength and plane waves

1. What is the EM field strength?

The EM field strength, also known as the electric field strength, is a measure of the force that an electric field exerts on a charged particle. It is represented by the symbol E and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is EM field strength related to plane waves?

Plane waves are a type of electromagnetic wave that have a constant electric field strength and magnetic field strength in a given direction. The EM field strength of a plane wave is directly proportional to its amplitude, which is the maximum value of the electric field. As the plane wave propagates through space, the EM field strength remains constant.

3. How is EM field strength affected by distance?

According to the inverse square law, the EM field strength decreases as the distance from the source increases. This means that the further away an object is from the source of the electromagnetic wave, the weaker the EM field strength will be.

4. What factors can affect the EM field strength of a plane wave?

The EM field strength of a plane wave can be affected by several factors, including the amplitude of the wave, the distance from the source, and the medium through which the wave is traveling. Additionally, the presence of other objects or obstacles in the path of the wave can also affect its EM field strength.

5. How is EM field strength measured?

EM field strength can be measured using various instruments such as field strength meters or oscilloscopes. These instruments measure the amplitude of the electric field and convert it into a numerical value in units of volts per meter. The measurement of EM field strength is important for understanding the behavior and effects of electromagnetic waves on different objects and materials.