Elizabeth 2: The Golden Age" - Half Cape Name

• Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
  • Tags
These were shorter capes, often worn on one shoulder only, and were popular among Elizabethans. They were used to show one's rank and social status, with different types of fur trimmings indicating different ranks. The smaller ones were usually worn by the second sons of nobility. The attached image shows an example of a fencing cape.
Dragonfall
In "Elizabeth 2: The Golden Age", what is the name of that half cape they wear?

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't see the movie, so I can't really say. However, a pelisse is often worn on one shoulder only and could look like a half cape.

Last edited:
Was it a fencing cape? Something like this?

DSCF007a.gif

Attachments

• DSCF007a.gif
    DSCF007a.gif
    29.8 KB · Views: 991
Strictly speaking a cape - a full length cape would be a cloak.

The Elizabethans had very strict rules on what kind of cloak you could wear for your rank, the difference between one trimmed with fox and wolf fur for instance.
I suppose the small ones were to let everyone know you were the 2nd son of an Earl (and had better get a good table) without melting in summer.

It also suggests that Elizabethan Maitre-d's had to be very good at mammal taxonomy!

I meant something like this. (See attachment)

They seem to be "fencing capes".

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 453

Related to Elizabeth 2: The Golden Age" - Half Cape Name

What is the significance of "Elizabeth 2: The Golden Age" in relation to the Half Cape Name?

"Elizabeth 2: The Golden Age" refers to the second half of Queen Elizabeth II's reign, which began in 1952. It is considered a "golden age" because of the economic prosperity and cultural achievements during this time. The Half Cape Name refers to the naming convention used for Elizabeth II, where she is referred to as Elizabeth II instead of Elizabeth Windsor, her surname.

How did the Half Cape Name convention come about?

The Half Cape Name convention was established by Queen Victoria in 1917 as a way to differentiate between the royal family and the rest of the British population. This naming convention is still used today for members of the royal family.

Was there ever an Elizabeth I during the Half Cape Name period?

No, there has never been an Elizabeth I during the Half Cape Name period. Queen Elizabeth I reigned from 1558 to 1603, long before the establishment of the Half Cape Name convention.

How does the Half Cape Name convention impact the succession of the British throne?

The Half Cape Name convention only applies to members of the royal family who are in direct line to the throne. It does not impact the succession of the British throne in any way. The next in line to the throne will still become the monarch, regardless of their name or title.

Are there any exceptions to the Half Cape Name convention?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the Half Cape Name convention. These include divorced members of the royal family, who may choose to use their married surname, and members of the royal family who hold a peerage title, such as Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex.