Elevator action-reaction pair/normal forces

In summary, the normal force exerted by the elevator on the box would be 150N, assuming the elevator is accelerating at 5m/s^2. This is because the force of the box on the elevator is not a force on the box, but rather a force on the elevator. The other forces acting on the elevator are irrelevant for the motion of the box.
EddiePhys
Untitled.png

In the above case, the normal force exerted by the elevator on the box would be = 10kg * g + 10kg*5m/s^2, assuming g = 10m/s^2, the elevator would exert a normal force of 150N on the box. But wouldn't the box exert an equal and opposite force on the elevator resulting in no motion? I know this is a really stupid question but I've not been able to understand where I'm going wrong.

Another related question: the box exert a force of mg = 10kg*g = 100N on the elevator, or, since the elevator is pushing on the box with 150N, it will react by pushing down on the elevator with 150N

Physics news on Phys.org
EddiePhys said:
the elevator would exert a normal force of 150N on the box. But wouldn't the box exert an equal and opposite force on the elevator resulting in no motion?
The only forces that affect the motion of the box are forces on the box. The only forces that affect the motion of the elevator are forces on the elevator.

The force of the box on the elevator is not a force on the box. It is a force on the elevator.

jbriggs444 said:
The only forces that affect the motion of the box are forces on the box. The only forces that affect the motion of the elevator are forces on the elevator.

The force of the box on the elevator is not a force on the box. It is a force on the elevator.

I never stated otherwise.

EddiePhys said:
I never stated otherwise.
Then why would you expect the downward 150 N force of the box on the elevator to prevent the box from moving?

jbriggs444 said:
Then why would you expect the downward 150 N force of the box on the elevator to prevent the box from moving?

No, what I'm saying is that if the elevator is exerting a force of 150N on the box, then by Newton's Third Law, the box too should exert an equal and opposite force on the elevator, preventing motion. And the other question I was confused about was whether the box would exert an equal and opposite force on the elevator =150N or whether it would exert of force of mg = 100N and the reasons/explanation behind it.

EddiePhys said:
No, what I'm saying is that if the elevator is exerting a force of 150N on the box, then by Newton's Third Law, the box too should exert an equal and opposite force on the elevator, preventing motion.
Equal and opposite force, yes. But preventing motion... What other forces act on the elevator? Must they total to 150 N upward?

jbriggs444 said:
Equal and opposite force, yes. But preventing motion... What other forces act on the elevator? Must they total to 150 N upward?

Just assuming that the elevator exerts 150N force upwards

EddiePhys said:
Just assuming that the elevator exerts 150N force upwards
If you are considering the motion of the elevator then the force that it exerts upwards is irrelevant. See post #2 above.

EddiePhys said:
But wouldn't the box exert an equal and opposite force on the elevator resulting in no motion? I know this is a really stupid question but I've not been able to understand where I'm going wrong.

https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/physics/horsecart.htm

Likes Potatochip911
EddiePhys said:
[ ATTACH=full]99361[/ATTACH]
In the above case, the normal force exerted by the elevator on the box would be = 10kg * g + 10kg*5m/s^2, assuming g = 10m/s^2, the elevator would exert a normal force of 150N on the box. But wouldn't the box exert an equal and opposite force on the elevator resulting in no motion? I know this is a really stupid question but I've not been able to understand where I'm going wrong.
There are other forces being exerted on the elevator.

The NET force exerted on the elevator must be such that it accelerates upward, in this case at 5 m/s2 .

The force balance on a body should only include the forces that other bodies exert on it, not the force that it exerts on other bodies. Didn't they teach you how to do a force balance in your course?

Chestermiller said:
The force balance on a body should only include the forces that other bodies exert on it, not the force that it exerts on other bodies. Didn't they teach you how to do a force balance in your course?

If the elevator exerts 150N on the box, why wouldn't the box exert 150N on the elevator? Everywhere I'm looking, it seems like the box is only exerting mg = 100N on the elevator.

EddiePhys said:
In the above case, the normal force exerted by the elevator on the box would be = 10kg * g + 10kg*5m/s^2, assuming g = 10m/s^2, the elevator would exert a normal force of 150N on the box. But wouldn't the box exert an equal and opposite force on the elevator resulting in no motion?
For Newtons 2nd law the acceleration of the box is determined by the sum of the forces on the box. Other forces acting on other objects are irrelevant. The forces acting on the elevator are acting on the elevator and not on the box. Therefore they are not relevant for the acceleration of the box.

Likes EddiePhys
EddiePhys said:
If the elevator exerts 150N on the box, why wouldn't the box exert 150N on the elevator? Everywhere I'm looking, it seems like the box is only exerting mg = 100N on the elevator.
If the elevator exerts 150N upwards on the box then the box does indeed exert 150N downwards on the elevator.

Likes EddiePhys
Alright. Thanks tons guys, I finally got it.

EddiePhys said:
Then you're looking in the wrong places. When the elevator is not accelerating, the box is exerting 100 N on the elevator, but when the elevator is accelerating, the box is exerting 150 N on the elevator. The action-reaction pair always match.

Likes EddiePhys
I'll jump in with my simple-minded answer. The box weighs (10 kg * G). The acceleration is upward at (5 m/s^2). So the floor of the elevator is pushing up on the box with a force of [10 kg * (G + 5 m/s^2)]. If we put a scale on the floor of the elevator under the box it will show a weight of 10 kg * (G + 5 m/s^2).

Now let's look at the cable at the top of the elevator. It is under tension, that tension is [(10 kg + mass of the elevator) * (G + 5 m/s^2)]. When the elevator is not moving the tension on the cable is (10 kg + mass of the elevator) * G.

OldYat47 said:
When the elevator is not moving the tension on the cable is (10 kg + mass of the elevator) * G.
Or when it's moving at constant velocity.

draw a free body diagram for each object...there are 2 forces acting on the box...gravity (weight of the block) and the force of the floor of the lift.
there are 2 forces acting on the floor of the lift...gravity (ie weight) and the force of the block on the floor.
Stop waffling !

Related to Elevator action-reaction pair/normal forces

1. What is an elevator action-reaction pair?

An elevator action-reaction pair refers to the forces that are exerted between the elevator and the objects inside of it. When the elevator moves up or down, there is an equal and opposite force exerted on the elevator and the objects inside of it.

2. How does gravity affect the normal force?

The normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. Gravity does not directly affect the normal force, but it can indirectly affect it by changing the weight of the object. If the weight of the object changes, the normal force will also change accordingly.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the normal force?

The magnitude of the normal force is affected by the weight of the object, the angle of the surface, and any other forces acting on the object. For example, if an object is on an inclined plane, the normal force will be less than the weight of the object due to the angle of the surface.

4. How does the normal force prevent objects from falling through a surface?

The normal force acts perpendicular to a surface and it is what prevents objects from falling through. When an object is placed on a surface, the normal force is equal and opposite to the force of gravity, which creates a balance and prevents the object from falling through.

5. Can the normal force ever be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, if an object is accelerating upwards or if it is on an inclined surface, the normal force can be greater than the weight of the object. This is because the normal force is equal and opposite to the combined forces (such as gravity and the upward acceleration) acting on the object.