Elementary questions on biological shielding in nuclear submarines

In summary, the reactor is located near the center of the submarine, with shielding bulkheads that fore and aft of the reactor. The crew must pass through the reactor compartment to access other parts of the submarine. The weight of the shielding is not a significant fraction of the total weight of the submarine.
Calvadosser
I'd be grateful to be pointed to some elementary information on the biological shielding in nuclear submarines. (Searching the web did not turn up what I was seeking).

I understand that the reactor is somewhere near the centre of the sub, with shielding bulkheads fore and aft of the reactor.

I'm curious about questions like:
- How do the crew pass from one side of the reactor to the other?
- Do they get a significant radiation dose if they stay in the vicinity of the reactor?
- Do the levels of shielding differ between former Soviet submarines and western subs?
- Is the weight of the shielding a significant fraction of the weight of the sub?

Thank you for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Calvadosser said:
I'd be grateful to be pointed to some elementary information on the biological shielding in nuclear submarines. (Searching the web did not turn up what I was seeking).

I understand that the reactor is somewhere near the centre of the sub, with shielding bulkheads fore and aft of the reactor.

I'm curious about questions like:
- How do the crew pass from one side of the reactor to the other?
- Do they get a significant radiation dose if they stay in the vicinity of the reactor?
- Do the levels of shielding differ between former Soviet submarines and western subs?
- Is the weight of the shielding a significant fraction of the weight of the sub?

Thank you for any help.

Modern submarine design has the engineering spaces at after end or back of the sub. There are no berthing spaces in the engineering spaces so only the nuclear personnel have the need to be in that area on a frequent basis. All crewmembers wear radiation monitoring dosimetry. The reactor compartment has a shielded personnel access tunnel through the reactor compartment that passes through that area. There are valves in that area that need to be operated periodically but the tunnel is a no loitering area. There are tanks along the forward bulkhead providing additional shielding for the spaces forward.

At least in the older Soviet submarines the shielding was minimal to permit higher speeds and it was commonly reported that significant radiation exposures were common. Several classes of Soviet design reportedly used liquid metal reactors for high power density. If I am correct, there was only one US submarine built with a liquid metal plant and it was converted to a PWR later.

NUCENG said:
At least in the older Soviet submarines the shielding was minimal to permit higher speeds and it was commonly reported that significant radiation exposures were common. Several classes of Soviet design reportedly used liquid metal reactors for high power density. If I am correct, there was only one US submarine built with a liquid metal plant and it was converted to a PWR later.
Seawolf (SSN-575) had a Na-cooled reactor designed and built by GE (1955), or their government entity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S1G_reactor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S2G_reactor

Astronuc said:
Seawolf (SSN-575) had a Na-cooled reactor designed and built by GE (1955), or their government entity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S1G_reactor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S2G_reactor

The Alfa class submarines used lead-bismuth cooled fast neutron reactors. Very interesting design, but it went nowhere, because of maintenance problems. The Russians never perfected the external heaters that were supposed to keep the coolant fluid while the core was being fiddled with, so they have switched to lower-tech PWRs for their newer boats like Borey. The lead-bismuth alloy is also pretty corrosive, apparently.
The design was developed for its low weight to power ratio, but ironically it seems more suited for fixed installations.

I can provide some basic information on biological shielding in nuclear submarines. The primary purpose of biological shielding in a nuclear submarine is to protect the crew from the harmful effects of radiation emitted by the reactor. This shielding is typically made of heavy materials, such as lead or steel, which can absorb and block radiation.

To answer your questions:

- The crew can pass from one side of the reactor to the other through designated passageways or doors that are shielded with heavy materials. These passageways are also equipped with radiation monitors to ensure the safety of the crew.
- While there will always be some level of radiation present in the vicinity of the reactor, the amount that the crew is exposed to is carefully monitored and kept within safe levels. The crew may receive some radiation exposure, but it is typically not significant enough to cause harm.
- The levels of shielding may differ between former Soviet submarines and western subs, as different countries may have different standards and regulations for nuclear submarine design and construction. However, the overall goal is the same - to protect the crew from radiation.
- The weight of the shielding is indeed a significant factor in the overall weight of a submarine. It is carefully calculated and designed to ensure the safety of the crew while also maintaining the necessary buoyancy and stability of the sub.

I hope this information helps to answer your questions. For more in-depth information, I suggest consulting with experts in the field or researching scientific articles on nuclear submarines and biological shielding.

Related to Elementary questions on biological shielding in nuclear submarines

1. What is biological shielding in nuclear submarines?

Biological shielding in nuclear submarines is a protective barrier made of materials such as lead or steel that is used to reduce exposure to radiation for the crew members operating the submarines.

2. Why is biological shielding necessary in nuclear submarines?

Biological shielding is necessary in nuclear submarines to protect the crew from the harmful effects of radiation exposure, which can cause health issues like cancer and genetic mutations.

3. How is biological shielding in nuclear submarines designed?

The design of biological shielding in nuclear submarines involves using materials with high atomic numbers, such as lead, which are effective in absorbing and blocking radiation. The shielding is also designed to cover all areas where radiation may be present, including the reactor core and other components.

4. Are there regulations for biological shielding in nuclear submarines?

Yes, there are strict regulations and standards set by government agencies, such as the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, for the design and implementation of biological shielding in nuclear submarines. These regulations ensure that the crew members are adequately protected from radiation exposure.

5. What are the potential risks if biological shielding in nuclear submarines fails?

If biological shielding in nuclear submarines fails, the crew members could be exposed to high levels of radiation, which can lead to serious health problems. In extreme cases, a failure in biological shielding could result in a nuclear disaster, causing significant environmental damage.