Elementary Problem: Determining the Piecewise Form of a Function

In summary, the conversation is about determining the continuity of functions and finding the piecewise form of a function. The speaker is struggling with determining the piecewise form and questions whether only considering the natural domain is flawed. They also ask about the existence of the limit and f(c). The expert responds that the natural domain is not enough and both limits must exist for the limit and f(c) to exist. They also mention that not all functions can be expressed in a piecewise form and there is no systematic way of determining it.
auslmar
Hello All,

First off, I will apologize in advance for being so ignorant and scatterbrained. Please humor me.

In my Calc. I class, we are currently covering the continuity of functions. Our current problem set consists of determining where a given function is NOT continuous. My professor insists that we must find the piecewise form of the functions, analyze that, and then determine the continuity.

I'm stumped on a couple of points:

I can't seem to figure out exactly how to determine the piecewise form of any given function to even start. Is there a certain method or rule to finding this? I can, however, understand how to determine the piecewise form of of a function that is blatantly co-linear by analyzing the graph, noting the branching point(s), and finding the slope of the line(s) on either side of the branching point(s). But, as far as determining the piecewise form of something like (x)/(x-2), I'm lost.

Also, when considering the continuity of functions like these, I don't see why we couldn't just consider the natural domain of the function and test the continuity at the points of interest. Is that way of thinking about these problems flawed?

And finally, I have a very very stupid question. When considering if f(c) exists and the limit of f(x) as x approaches c exists, what if they're both non-existent? Are two non-existences equal? That's probably a very ignorant question, but I'm curious.

I'm sorry this post turned into an incoherent ramble. But, if you can help me out in any way, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks for your consideration and patience,

-A.Martin

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see why your only consider the Natural domain either, normally its all the real numbers, not just the natural numbers. Its very flawed. Only considering the natural numbers, a function may be continuous in its domain, but not able to be differentiated.

For [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c} f(x)[/tex] to exist, [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c^{+}} f(x)[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c^{-}} f(x)[/tex] both have to exist and be equal. If the limit does not exist, f(c) can not exist. If the limit exists, it does not mean f(c) exists.

Gib Z said:
I don't see why your only consider the Natural domain either, normally its all the real numbers, not just the natural numbers. Its very flawed. Only considering the natural numbers, a function may be continuous in its domain, but not able to be differentiated.

For [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c} f(x)[/tex] to exist, [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c^{+}} f(x)[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c^{-}} f(x)[/tex] both have to exist and be equal. If the limit does not exist, f(c) can not exist. If the limit exists, it does not mean f(c) exists.

Okay, I see what you're saying.

What about determining the piecewise form of a function? Is there any systematic way to go about that?

Nope. Not all functions can be expressed piecewise anyway, unless in a very obvious way that doesn't help. eg f(x) { for x>0, =x^2, for x< 0 = x^2. Id be interesting to see how you espressed the x/x-2, i can't do it.

Related to Elementary Problem: Determining the Piecewise Form of a Function

1. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a function that is defined by different expressions or rules on different intervals of its domain.

2. How do you determine the piecewise form of a function?

To determine the piecewise form of a function, you need to first identify the different intervals on which the function is defined. Then, you need to write an expression or rule for each interval. Finally, you combine these expressions or rules to form the piecewise function.

3. What is the purpose of using a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is used when a single function cannot accurately represent a given situation or problem. It allows for different rules or expressions to be used for different parts of the problem, providing a more accurate representation.

4. What are some common examples of piecewise functions?

Some common examples of piecewise functions include the absolute value function, the greatest integer function, and the floor and ceiling functions. These functions have different rules or expressions for different intervals of their domain.

5. How can I graph a piecewise function?

To graph a piecewise function, you can first graph each individual expression or rule on its respective interval. Then, you can combine these graphs to create a piecewise graph. It is important to pay attention to the domain and continuity of the function when graphing a piecewise function.