Elementary probability problem

In summary, the probability of the fraction (a/b) being greater than 1 after two spins of a disk divided into 6 equal pieces is 15/36, with 36 possible outcomes and 6 cases where a=b being excluded.
Elbobo

Homework Statement

A disk is cut into 6 equal pieces and labeled 1 through 6. On it, a player spins an arrow twice. The fraction ( a / b ) is formed, where a is the number of the sector where the arrow stops after the first spin and b is the number of the sector where the arrow stops after the second spin. On every spin, each of the numbered sectors has an equal probability of being the sector on which the arrow stops.

What is the probability that the fraction ( a / b ) is greater than 1?

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is ( 15/36 ), but I'm not really sure how to approach the problem.

(6 * 5) / 2 = 15 (total number of possible outcomes; I used this as the denominator)

As for the numerator, I couldn't find a method to find quickly the amount of fractions greater than one, and I couldn't just sit there and mess around because it was a timed exercise.

EDIT: Never mind. I guess I had to sit there and mess around, but it was a lot quicker than I thought. Is there another way to do it besides looking sector by sector?

ERR, just forget about my combination method. I figured it out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are 36 possible outcomes for the pair (a,b). You can throw out the cases where a=b. That leaves 36-6, right? In half of them a>b and in half of them a<b. Hence?

Thank you :D

Related to Elementary probability problem

1. What is Elementary Probability?

Elementary probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with analyzing and predicting the likelihood of a particular event occurring based on a set of given conditions or data.

2. How is Elementary Probability different from Advanced Probability?

Elementary probability focuses on basic concepts and techniques, such as calculating the probability of simple events, while advanced probability deals with more complex concepts, such as conditional probability and Bayesian inference.

3. What are some common terms used in Elementary Probability?

Some common terms used in Elementary Probability include sample space, event, probability, outcome, and random experiment.

4. How is Probability calculated in Elementary Probability?

In Elementary Probability, probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

5. How is Elementary Probability used in real life?

Elementary Probability is used in various fields, such as finance, insurance, and science, to make predictions and informed decisions based on available data. It can also be used in everyday life to make decisions, such as choosing the best route to take when driving or predicting the outcome of a game or event.