Element Selection for Voltage Doubler Design with Mathematical proof

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in designing a voltage doubler circuit that takes in 115V-50Hz AC and produces a doubled voltage output of 230V DC. They are specifically looking for assistance in determining the optimal value of capacitance and the required diode rating, as well as any other precautions that should be taken. They are also seeking resources for understanding the underlying mathematics and any practical issues that may arise. They request more information on the application and output power requirements, as well as the speaker's experience working with AC Mains voltages.
sns
I need to design a voltage doubler that takes in 115V-50Hz a.c. and produces a doubled voltage output of 230V dc.

I am using this circuit:

vd.GIF

I need help in the mathematics part:

i) How do I find the optimum value of capacitance? (Using high capacitance values reduces ripples; but can the mathematical relation between ripple and capacitance be found out? please help and if possible give source to study..)

ii) How can the diode rating req. be determined?

Any other suggestions kindly reply [regarding any precautions to be taken like heat issues etc. any practical issue I may be missing]. Also any text or website that can help on the underlying mathematics.. please help...

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
sns said:
I need to design a voltage doubler that takes in 115V-50Hz a.c. and produces a doubled voltage output of 230V dc.

I am using this circuit:

vd.GIF

I need help in the mathematics part:

i) How do I find the optimum value of capacitance? (Using high capacitance values reduces ripples; but can the mathematical relation between ripple and capacitance be found out? please help and if possible give source to study..)

ii) How can the diode rating req. be determined?

Any other suggestions kindly reply [regarding any precautions to be taken like heat issues etc. any practical issue I may be missing]. Also any text or website that can help on the underlying mathematics.. please help...

What is the application? What are the output power requirements? What is your background in working with AC Mains voltages?

Related to Element Selection for Voltage Doubler Design with Mathematical proof

1. What is the purpose of selecting elements for a voltage doubler design?

The purpose of selecting elements for a voltage doubler design is to increase the output voltage of a circuit by using a combination of capacitors and diodes. This design is commonly used in power supply circuits to efficiently convert low voltage input to higher voltage output.

2. How do you determine the suitable elements for a voltage doubler design?

The suitable elements for a voltage doubler design can be determined by considering the desired output voltage, input voltage, and the available types and values of capacitors and diodes. Mathematical calculations can also be used to find the optimal combination of elements for the desired output voltage.

3. What is the mathematical proof for element selection in a voltage doubler design?

The mathematical proof for element selection in a voltage doubler design involves using the voltage division rule and Kirchhoff's laws to calculate the output voltage and current in the circuit. This allows for the determination of the appropriate values of capacitors and diodes to achieve the desired output voltage.

4. Can the element values be adjusted for different output voltages?

Yes, the element values can be adjusted for different output voltages by using the mathematical calculations to determine the new values needed. However, it is important to ensure that the selected elements can handle the required voltage and current without failure.

5. Are there any limitations to element selection in a voltage doubler design?

Yes, there are some limitations to element selection in a voltage doubler design. These limitations include the maximum voltage and current ratings of the capacitors and diodes, as well as the frequency of the input signal. It is also important to consider the physical size and cost of the selected elements.