Electrostatics - Metal Shell Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a thick metal shell with a point charge placed at the center. The task is to find the total charge induced on the inner and outer boundaries of the shell. The conversation includes the use of equations and the student's attempt at solving the problem. However, the solutions provided state that the induced charges on the inner and outer boundaries are -3nC and 3nC respectively, leading the student to realize they have missed an important concept related to conductors. The conversation ends with the student thanking for the help.
Cazicami

Homework Statement

Consider a thick metal shell with inner radius a = 2cm and b = 4cm. The shell carries no net charge. A point charge of q = 3nC is placed at the centre of the shell. Find the total charged induced on the inner boundary of the shell. Find the total charge induced on the outer boundary of the shell.

5 marks.

Homework Equations

E = q/4∏ ε0 r^2 - I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was to use the equation above to work out the charge at each radius. However the answer I get is very wrong. The solutions simply state,
"Obviously, the charge induced on the inner boundary is -3nC, while the charge induced on the outer boundary is 3nC." So this is making me think I have missed something. Considering the value I calculated was E = 67438NC^-1

Any help you can give would be great, as I am studying for my resits.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
you have calculated the electric field at the inner radius due to just the charge in the middle. But the question does not ask for this. And this is not really important, either. Think about what happens inside a conductor in electrostatic problems. You have probably used this concept before.

Thanks, Sorry it was such a noob question, but I have now found it in my notes.

Thanks so much for your help.

Cazi

Related to Electrostatics - Metal Shell Question

1. What is the purpose of a metal shell in electrostatics?

A metal shell is used to protect and contain the electric field within an object. It acts as a barrier and prevents the electric field from escaping or entering the object, creating a more controlled and stable environment for electrostatic experiments.

2. How does a metal shell affect the electric field inside an object?

The metal shell acts as a conductor and redistributes the electric charge on its surface, creating a more even distribution of the electric field within the object. This helps to reduce the strength of the electric field at any one point and make it more manageable for experiments.

3. Can a metal shell completely block an electric field?

No, a metal shell cannot completely block an electric field. It can only contain and redistribute the electric field within the object, but some electric field lines may still escape or enter through small openings in the shell.

4. How does the shape of a metal shell affect the electric field inside an object?

The shape of a metal shell can affect the distribution and strength of the electric field within an object. For example, a spherical metal shell will distribute the electric charge more evenly compared to a cylindrical or irregularly shaped shell.

5. Is a metal shell necessary in all electrostatic experiments?

No, a metal shell is not necessary in all electrostatic experiments. It is mainly used in experiments where a controlled and stable electric field is required. In some cases, a metal shell may interfere with the experiment and is not needed.