Electrostatics, electrons, protons, and all that good stuff

In summary, electrostatics explains how charge is transferred between objects. The attempt at a solution explains how when two objects are in contact, charge is transferred between them.
Creative-Amy
Electrostatics, electrons, protons, and all that good stuff:)

Homework Statement

Two uncharged metal balls, X and Y, stand on glass rods, are in touch as shown to the right. A third ball Z, carrying a positive charge, is brought near the first two (closer to Y than X). Then the first two balls are separated from each other, and ball Z is finally removed. What are the charges (if any) on each of the balls?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

After applying my new knowledge of electrostatics I concluded that x is positive and y is neutral, but I'm not sure so any help would be great! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

I would say partly right.
If I am visualizing it correctly, the positive charge induces a charge separation on the xy pair.
It pushes positive charges away and pulls negative ones closer. That should leave a net charge on x and on y. In any case the total charge on x plus y must be zero because nothing has touched the pair of them to add any charge.

That is true...so no change other than a shift in negative electrons should be observed and they should both remain neutral?

I just want to get this straight, whenever the y ball has been induced to be positive by the z ball(-) and x is in touch to y while this is occurring nothing should change?

There is a change! Charge is moved from one ball to the other. Electrons are pulled toward the positive charge - they move from the ball that is further away to the ball that is closer to the positive charge. This leaves each of the balls with a net charge. The total of the charges on the two balls is zero because charges are only moved, not created.

Oh ok that makes sense, thank you!:)

Related to Electrostatics, electrons, protons, and all that good stuff

1. What is electrostatics and how does it relate to electrons and protons?

Electrostatics is the study of stationary electric charges and their interactions. It is closely related to electrons and protons because they are the fundamental particles that carry electric charge. Electrons have a negative charge, while protons have a positive charge.

2. How do electrons and protons interact with each other?

Electrons and protons interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. This force is responsible for the attraction between positively charged protons and negatively charged electrons. The strength of the force is determined by the distance between the particles and their respective charges.

3. What is the difference between static and current electricity?

Static electricity refers to the buildup of electric charges on the surface of an object, while current electricity refers to the movement of electric charges through a conductor. In static electricity, the charges are not in motion, while in current electricity, they are flowing.

4. Can electrons and protons be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of charge, electric charge cannot be created or destroyed. Electrons and protons can be transferred between objects, but the total amount of charge remains constant.

5. How does the movement of electrons create electric current?

The movement of electrons from one atom to another creates an electric current. This movement is caused by a potential difference, or voltage, between two points. The electrons flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, creating a current. This flow of electrons can be harnessed for various uses, such as powering electronic devices.