Electrostatics/Electric Field Question

In summary, the conversation involves finding the magnitude E of the electric field at point P, expressed in terms of the constant k, for an infinitesimal wire segment between x and x+dx. The questions also ask for the y component of the electric field at point P due to this wire segment, expressed in terms of λ, d, dx, x, and k. The conversation also includes relevant equations and an attempt at solving the first question.
tyrostoken

Homework Statement

What is the magnitude E of the electric field at point P? Throughout this part, express your answers in terms of the constant k, defined by k = 1/(4πE0)

To solve this question, I am trying to walk through the hint process.

Question 1: Find the magnitude dE of the electric field at point P produced by the infinitesimal wire segment between x and x + dx. Express in terms of λ, d, dx, x, and the constant k.

Question 2: What is dEy, the y component of the electric field at point P due to an infinitesimal segment of wire located at position x? Assume that the magnitude of the electric field at point P due to the infinitesimal wire segment is dE. Express in terms of dE, x, and d.
15538_a.jpg

Question 3:
Find dEy(x), the y component of the electric field produced at point P by the infinitesimal segment of the wire between x and x+dx.
Express your answer in terms of x, d, dx, λ, and k.

Homework Equations

E = F/q0 = kq/(r^2) = λ/(2πE0R)
dE = kdq/(r^2) * rhat
|r| = √(x^2 +d^2)
dq = λdx

The Attempt at a Solution

At the moment, I am stuck on question 1.
I tried plugging in my know values but I am unsure of how to express rhat

Since the distance between x and x+dx is dx...

dE = ((kλdx)/(dx^2 +d^2)) * ( (√dx^2+d^2) / √(x^2+d^2) )

Is this the correct formula for dE? What am I assuming wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
tyrostoken said:

The Attempt at a Solution

At the moment, I am stuck on question 1.
I tried plugging in my know values but I am unsure of how to express rhat

Since the distance between x and x+dx is dx...

dE = ((kλdx)/(dx^2 +d^2)) * ( (√dx^2+d^2) / √(x^2+d^2) )

Is this the correct formula for dE?

No, this is not correct. Please explain how you arrived at this formula.

Related to Electrostatics/Electric Field Question

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of stationary electric charges and the forces they exert on each other. It is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of electrically charged particles at rest.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric force can be exerted on a charged particle. It is created by stationary electric charges and can be represented by electric field lines.

3. How is an electric field different from a magnetic field?

An electric field is created by stationary electric charges, while a magnetic field is created by moving electric charges. Electric fields also exert forces on stationary charged particles, while magnetic fields exert forces on moving charged particles.

4. What is the equation for electric field?

The equation for electric field is E = kQ/r², where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge creating the field, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the electric field is being measured.

5. How is electric field related to electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electrical potential energy per unit of charge at a point in an electric field. It is related to electric field by the equation V = Ed, where V is the electric potential, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance between the point and a reference point. In other words, the electric field is the gradient of the electric potential.