Electroscope experiment in vacuum

In summary, the electroscope experiment shows that when the chamber is pumped down to a low pressure, the gap between the two charged aluminum leafs decreases abruptly. This effect occurs every time the experiment is run.
Dan Haronian
Hi
I am running the electroscope experiment in vacuum. This is shown in (a) in the uploaded figure . Once the aluminum leafs are charged the chamber is pump down (b). As soon the pressure decrease low enough (around relative pressure of 30 inHg) the leafs collapse to each other abruptly.
Here is a short video of the collapsing leafs:
).
There is still a gap between the two leafs but it's much less than in atmospheric pressure. This effect takes place every time I run the experiment.

In another experiment, the chamber is pumped down before the leafs are charged. The gap between the leafs is much smaller than that in atmospheric pressure.

Can anyone explain why?

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-29_16-29-2.png
    upload_2017-5-29_16-29-2.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you drzoidberg,
I thought of Paschen's law as well but I am not sure because of the abrupt collapse. It looks more like some kind of breakdown. In addition there is only one charged electrode. V in Paschen's law refers to the breakdown voltage between two electrodes. Still there is an electric field between each leaf and the surroundings. So maybe some variation of Paschen's law. Paschen's law Is gas dependent. I am going to try different gasses to see how this affects the leaf collapsing.

Last edited:
I know that with a discharge tube, the discharge starts fairly abruptly as the pressure goes down.

Likes Dan Haronian
The setup here is different than in a tube which Paschen's law refers to. V is the breakdown voltage between the two electrodes and d in p*d is the distance between the two electrodes. Yet, if we divide the two axis by d we get E as a function of p. E is the electric field at which breakdown takes place which is a function of the pressure. Referring to one leaf, E is proportional to 1/x^2. So the breakdown field is such that the MFP of electrons is such that they gain enough energy to ionize gas molecules. A breakdown in this case will be creation of many such ions (chain reaction) that flow to the leaf and recombine with electron on the leaf. E will diminish as the recombination progress and the overall effect will slow down. I assume that the abrupt effect where the two leafs collapse to each other (but not completely as in the video) is the chain reaction. The slow collapse of the leafs towards each other, that follows, is due to slower process of ion generation and recombination with electrons on the leaf.
Does this make sense?

I will run this experiment with He gas where the ionization energy is higher. My goal is to have the leaf stay charged for long time. Any ideas are welcomed.

Dan Haronian said:
My goal is to have the leaf stay charged for long time. Any ideas are welcomed.
Some possible approaches:
  • Pull a good vacuum before charging
  • Fill the container with Argon
  • Fill the container with Sulfur HexaFluoride (HF6)
  • Super cleanliness of insulator around the electrical contact to the outside world
  • Hydrophobic coating on that insulator
  • Of course no sharp edges or points on external connection, a sphere is best
  • Enclose the whole thing in another vacuum chamber or in a dry Nitrogen atmosphere
  • If the whole thing is not in a vacuum, then shield from ionizing radiation, including UV light

The above is just "stream-of-consciousness", and some or all may be no good at all!:wink:

Likes Dan Haronian

Related to Electroscope experiment in vacuum

1. What is an electroscope experiment in vacuum?

An electroscope experiment in vacuum involves using an electroscope, a device used to detect the presence of electric charge, in a vacuum chamber. This allows for the study of electric charge and its behavior in the absence of air molecules or other outside influences.

2. Why is a vacuum necessary for this experiment?

A vacuum is necessary for this experiment because it eliminates any interference from air molecules, which can affect the movement of electric charge. It also allows for the study of electric charge in isolation, without any outside influences.

3. How is the electroscope used in this experiment?

The electroscope is used to detect the presence of electric charge in the vacuum chamber. It works by using a metal rod with leaves attached to it, which separate when electric charge is present. This allows for the observation and measurement of the behavior of electric charge in the vacuum.

4. What can we learn from an electroscope experiment in vacuum?

An electroscope experiment in vacuum can provide valuable insights into the behavior of electric charge in isolation. It can also help us understand how electric charge interacts with other objects and how it moves in the absence of air molecules or other outside influences.

5. Are there any limitations to this experiment?

One limitation of this experiment is that it can only observe the behavior of electric charge in a vacuum, which may not accurately represent its behavior in other environments. Additionally, the equipment used in the experiment may have its own limitations and can affect the results obtained.