Electroscope Charge Distribution

In summary, the conversation discussed a question given to students about an electroscope being charged by induction and the resulting charge distribution. The students had different ideas about the distribution, with some suggesting positive charges on the top half and negative charges on the bottom, while others suggested a more gradual distribution. The conversation also mentioned the importance of understanding the principles behind the experiment rather than just finding the correct answer.
Livethefire
Hey,

I am helping out with a class and the students were given a question about an electroscope that is being charged by induction, and they have to label the charge distribution on a diagram. The diagram is drawn such that the conductive elements are separated - indicating a force between them. The answer that is given is here:

Electroscope Induction

I have been getting the students thinking about the "sea" of electrons in the conducting rod and so some of them want to put positive charges on the top half and negative charges on the bottom half so that there is still a repulsion with net charge zero (no transfer/conduction). The more I think about it, the more I think they are not really wrong. I think the real answer lies inbetween that shown in the diagram, and that which I have described. Clearly if you bring a HIGHLY negative plate to the top, the students would be pretty much correct.

Does anyone wish to clarify this point(whether this is right or wrong), or add to the discussion?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The student had something more like this:

The Upper "V" was positive, and the lower was negative. In otherwords half the rod was positive, the other was negative. This allowed the repulsion to still be correct.

Oh you mean the top part of the electroscope vane was positive and the lower negative?
That's fair enough - how would you go about determining the difference?

In practice you don't get a sharp change from positive to negative along a conductor like that. Can you find a charge distribution consistent with this setup that does not have the repulsion?

The question just wants the students to demonstrate that they understand the principles qualitatively.

I would like to confirm that the students' thinking about the "sea" of electrons in the conducting rod is correct. In an electroscope being charged by induction, the electrons in the conducting rod are repelled by the negatively charged object near the top of the electroscope. This results in a separation of charges within the electroscope, with the top half having a slight positive charge and the bottom half having a slight negative charge. This is known as a dipole moment.

However, it is important to note that this separation of charges is not a complete separation, as there are still some electrons present in both halves of the electroscope. This is why the net charge is still zero. So, while the students' thinking is partially correct, it is important to clarify that the charge distribution is not a complete separation of positive and negative charges.

Additionally, the strength of the repulsion between the conducting elements depends on the strength of the negatively charged object near the top of the electroscope. So, as the students mentioned, if a highly negative plate is brought near the top, the repulsion will be stronger and the separation of charges will be more evident.

I hope this clarifies the concept of charge distribution in an electroscope charged by induction. It is important for students to understand that charge distribution is not always a simple separation of positive and negative charges, but rather a more nuanced concept that depends on various factors.

Related to Electroscope Charge Distribution

What is an electroscope charge distribution?

An electroscope charge distribution is a phenomenon that occurs when an electroscope, which is a simple device used to detect the presence and magnitude of an electric charge, is charged. When an electroscope is charged, the charge is distributed throughout the device, causing the leaves to either repel or attract each other, indicating the presence and type of charge.

How does electroscope charge distribution work?

Electroscope charge distribution works by the principles of electrostatics. When a charged object is brought near the electroscope, the charge is transferred to the electroscope through conduction or induction. This causes the charge to be distributed throughout the device, resulting in the movement of the leaves.

What factors affect the distribution of charge in an electroscope?

The distribution of charge in an electroscope is affected by several factors such as the amount and type of charge present, the distance between the charged object and the electroscope, and the material and shape of the electroscope. These factors can impact the strength and direction of the charge distribution.

How can electroscope charge distribution be used in scientific experiments?

Electroscope charge distribution can be used in various scientific experiments, such as testing for the presence of charge, determining the type of charge, and measuring the strength of the charge. It can also be used to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics and to investigate the behavior of charged objects.

What are the limitations of using electroscope charge distribution in experiments?

One limitation of using electroscope charge distribution in experiments is that it can only detect the presence of charge and not the exact amount. Additionally, external factors such as humidity and temperature can affect the accuracy of the results. Furthermore, the distance between the charged object and the electroscope must be carefully controlled to obtain reliable data.