Electrons move faster than the speed of light?

In summary, electrons can be anywhere in the universe, but they are more probable to be nearer to the nucleus. As you go farther away from the nucleus the force holding the electron diminishes.
paulo84
In school, I was taught that the position of an electron relative to the nucleus is only an approximation. It is very likely that the electron will be close to the nucleus and where it is 'expected' to be, but it may in fact be anywhere in the universe.

Is this correct? And does this allow electrons to move faster than the speed of light?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, the electron can be anywhere, but it is more probable to be nearer to the nucleus. As you go farther away from the nucleus the force holding the electron diminishes.

paulo84 said:
And does this allow electrons to move faster than the speed of light?
Nothing moves faster than light or at the speed of light. This applies to all objects with mass, including electrons. Electromagnetic radiation, on the other hand is transmitted through photons (massless) which goes at the speed of light since it is light.

lekh2003 said:
Nothing moves faster than light or at the speed of light.

Not what I heard?

paulo84 said:
Not what I heard?
You heard wrong.

Likes HAYAO and TeethWhitener
lekh2003 said:
Yes, the electron can be anywhere, but it is more probable to be nearer to the nucleus. As you go farther away from the nucleus the force holding the electron diminishes.Nothing moves faster than light or at the speed of light. This applies to all objects with mass, including electrons. Electromagnetic radiation, on the other hand is transmitted through photons (massless) which goes at the speed of light since it is light.

Forgive me lekh I just prefer conversation to a textbook. Do photons exist in all types of EM radiation, or only light?

paulo84 said:
Forgive me lekh I just prefer conversation to a textbook. Do photons exist in all types of EM radiation, or only light?
If I'm right, photons exist in all types.

paulo84 said:

"Conversation" is not as accurate as "textbook". Do you prefer accuracy, or hearsay?

Your question is about electron in an atom. Unfortunately, it has now deviated into a topic that should be asked in the physics subforums. You should either browse through all the topics already on this subject, or ask a brand new question in the relevant forum. This particular subject has been asked ad nauseum. So please do a bit of browsing/search on here.

Zz.

Related to Electrons move faster than the speed of light?

1. How is it possible for electrons to move faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can move faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. However, this limitation only applies to objects with mass. Electrons, on the other hand, are considered to be massless particles and can therefore travel at speeds exceeding that of light.

2. What evidence supports the claim that electrons can move faster than light?

One of the main pieces of evidence is the phenomenon of quantum tunneling, where electrons are able to "tunnel" through barriers at speeds faster than the speed of light. This has been observed and studied in various experiments, providing strong evidence for the ability of electrons to surpass the speed of light.

3. How does this contradict the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, specifically the special theory of relativity, states that the speed of light is the universal speed limit. This means that no object with mass can travel faster than the speed of light. However, as electrons are massless, they are not bound by this limitation and can move at speeds faster than light.

4. Can electrons really travel infinitely fast?

No, electrons do not have infinite speed. While they can move faster than the speed of light, they still have a finite speed. This is because they still have a certain amount of energy and can only travel at a maximum speed determined by that energy.

5. What applications does this knowledge have in the field of science and technology?

The understanding of electrons being able to move faster than the speed of light has important implications in various fields such as quantum computing and telecommunications. This knowledge can also help us better understand the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and further advance our understanding of the universe.