Electrons in uniform electric field

In summary, the problem involves a pair of parallel metal plates with a potential difference applied, creating an electric field. A beam of cathode rays with all particles traveling at 4x10^6 m/s enters the region between the plates. Part D asks for the increase in kinetic energy of a cathode ray particle traveling the length of the plates. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations for electric force, acceleration, and displacement to find the velocity and kinetic energy of the particle at the end and subtracting it from the initial velocity. The result obtained was 4.4856x10^-19 J.
herbert1

Homework Statement

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/305636/yeephysics.jpg

If that doesn't work, the problem states:

A pair of parallel metal plates, 100mm long and a distance of 20mm apart are set up in an evacuated tube as shown. A potential difference is applied to the plates, creating an electric field of 56 NC down 9the page). A beam of cathode rays, where all the particles are traveling at 4x10^6 m/s, enters the region between the plates from the left, at a point midway between the plates. (Neglect effects due to gravity).

I need help with part D

Which asks:

What is the increase in the kinetic energy of the cathode ray particle in traveling the length of the plates.

Homework Equations

E = F/q
F = ma
v^2 = u^2 + 2as (where v = final vel. u = initial, s = displacement)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about using Work = Vq, as work has to be the change in kinetic energy? But the length of the places threw me off.

So I used F = Eq into Eq = ma, a = Eq/m

Then v^2 = u^2 + 2(Eq/m)*0.1 to find the velocity of the particle at the end. Then i found the kinetic energy of the particle at the start and end using 1/2mv^2 and subtracted them and got 4.4856x10^-19 J. But I am not sure if this is right?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field accelerates the electrons in the direction perpendicular to the plates. The normal velocity component gained is proportional to the time the electrons spend between the plates.

ehild

Related to Electrons in uniform electric field

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its reach.

2. How do electrons behave in a uniform electric field?

In a uniform electric field, electrons will experience a constant force and will accelerate in the direction of the field. This acceleration will continue until the electron reaches a constant velocity, known as the drift velocity.

3. What is the direction of the electric field force on an electron?

The direction of the electric field force on an electron is always in the opposite direction of the electric field itself. This means that if the electric field is pointing towards the right, the force on the electron will be towards the left.

4. How does the strength of the electric field affect the motion of electrons?

The strength of the electric field directly affects the acceleration of electrons. The stronger the electric field, the greater the acceleration and therefore, the greater the drift velocity of the electrons.

5. What is the relationship between the electric field and the potential difference?

The electric field and the potential difference have a direct relationship. The potential difference is the change in electric potential energy per unit charge, and the electric field is the force per unit charge. This means that the potential difference is directly proportional to the electric field.