Electronic field calculation of 2 wires

In summary, the question is about finding the magnitude and direction of the electric field produced by two nonconducting wires carrying opposite charges meeting at a right angle. The wires have a length of 1.2m and the charge is distributed uniformly. At point P, which is located 0.06m from each wire, the magnitude of electric field can be calculated using the equation |E|=|kQ/r^2|. The attempt at a solution involves taking the integral of (kQ/2r)dr with limits from -.08485 to +.08485, but this is incorrect because electric field is a vector quantity.
ThiagoG

Homework Statement

2 1.2m nonconducting wires meet at a right angle. One segment carries +2.5*10-6 C of charge distributed uniformly along its length, and the other carries -2.5*10-6 C distributed uniformly along it. Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field these wires produce at point P, which is .06 m from each wire.

Homework Equations

|E|=|kQ/r2|

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solutions manual so I don't care for knowing how to solve it. I just want to know as to why I can't take the integral of (kQ/2r)dr with limits from -.08485(the distance from P to the tip of the wire) to +.08485.

Physics news on Phys.org
ThiagoG said:
I have the solutions manual so I don't care for knowing how to solve it. I just want to know as to why I can't take the integral of (kQ/2r)dr with limits from -.08485(the distance from P to the tip of the wire) to +.08485.
Because that is not how to solve it - which you don't care to know.
Hint: E is a vector.

Related to Electronic field calculation of 2 wires

1. How do you calculate the electronic field between two wires?

To calculate the electronic field between two wires, you will need to use the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electronic field, k is the constant of proportionality, Q is the charge of the wire, and r is the distance between the wires. You will need to calculate this for both wires and then add them together to get the total electronic field between the two wires.

2. What is the constant of proportionality used in electronic field calculations?

The constant of proportionality used in electronic field calculations is known as Coulomb's constant, denoted by the letter k. Its value is approximately 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

3. How does the distance between two wires affect the electronic field?

The distance between two wires has an inverse relationship with the electronic field. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the electronic field decreases. This is because the force between two charged objects decreases as the distance between them increases.

4. Can the electronic field between two wires be negative?

Yes, the electronic field between two wires can be negative if the two wires have opposite charges. This means that the electronic field will point towards one of the wires and away from the other, indicating the direction of the force exerted on a charged particle placed between the two wires.

5. How can the electronic field between two wires be used in practical applications?

The electronic field between two wires can be used in a variety of practical applications, such as in electronic devices like capacitors and circuit boards. It can also be used in the design of electrical systems, such as power lines, to ensure safe and efficient transmission of electricity. Additionally, it is used in medical equipment like MRI machines to create images of the body's internal structures.