Electron trajectory in B field with random energy kick

In summary, the conversation is about a situation where an electron enters a section of bfield and undergoes circular motion. At the midpoint, it absorbs a photon and its energy changes. The question is about the trajectory of the electron after the absorption of the photon. Two options are discussed, with the conclusion that the trajectory should be continuous. The conversation also mentions the possibility of considering the situation as a classical point particle and the emission of the photon by the electron. Further reading on the quantum effects of such a system is requested.
jasonpatel
So I wanted to get some second opinions on this situation I have thinking about.Lets say an electron enters, normally, a section of bfield that is perpendicular to its motion such that the electron will undergo circular motion. This is the simple part and is labeled as "E0" in the picture attached below (in both case A and B).

Lets say that at the midpoint of the electrons journey it absorbs a photon and now has a new energy of "E+" (as dipicted in the red in the picture below). Now, there are two options in my head for the trajectory:

A. The radius of the electron at the midpoint immediately increases to a larger radius. But the radius extends ALONG the original "E0" radius and the electron follows a trajectory that is somewhat concentric( http://www.powerframeworks.com/series/SG/034/sg022-and-sg034-differences.jpg ), but larger radius, with that of the "E0" trajectory at exactly the midpoint where the photon was absorbed.

B. The radius of the electron at the midpoint immediately increases to a larger radius. But the radius is measured with respect to the entrance of the bfield section just as the radius of the "E0" is measured, the only difference is that it is longer now.

So, which one is correct? Well, we know that the electrons trajectory should be continuous. Thereofre, the x position and the angle of the electron (x') should be continuous before and after the photon is absorbed; boundary conditions. It is in my opinion that this is only satisfied in case A with the concentric trajectories.

Any thoughts? Disagreements?
lGbh7.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
first, since you posted in the classical physics section, I assume that you are actually not interested in all of the quantum weirdness and wave functions and uncertainty principle and so forth. You probably what to just consider it like a classical point particle.

Then, the collision with the photon causes a change in the electrons momentum, which means the path has a sharp bend in it. After this sharp bend, the electron travels on a completely different circular path than the one it was on previously. The circles must intersect at the point of the collision, but do not have to have the same center or radius or tangent.

HI thanks for the reply. Actually I guess I didn't clarify the situation to completeness.

The photon is actually emitted from the electron. The electron is considered ultrarelativistic so the change in momentum can be considered opposite of the electrons original momentum vector. Hence, my assumption that the electron's position and angle does not change after the emission of a photon, only its energy changes.

Any thoughts?

Also if you could refer me to some readings on the "quantum effects" of such a system I would be very interested on reading, thanks!

jasonpatel said:
the change in momentum can be considered opposite of the electrons original momentum vector.
OK, so no sharp bend. Just a sudden change in the radius. Both circles would be tangent to the momentum at emission.

Related to Electron trajectory in B field with random energy kick

1. What is electron trajectory in a B field with random energy kick?

Electron trajectory in a B field with random energy kick refers to the path that an electron follows when it is subjected to a magnetic field (B field) and a random energy kick (a sudden increase in its energy level). This phenomenon is commonly observed in particle accelerators and can also be studied in a laboratory setting.

2. How does a B field affect the trajectory of an electron?

A B field can exert a force on a moving electron, causing it to deviate from its original path. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is perpendicular to both the direction of the electron's motion and the direction of the B field. The magnitude and direction of the force depend on the strength and orientation of the B field.

3. What is a random energy kick and how does it affect an electron's trajectory?

A random energy kick refers to a sudden increase in the energy level of an electron. This can be caused by various factors such as collisions with other particles or interactions with electromagnetic fields. The random energy kick can change the speed and direction of the electron, leading to a deviation in its trajectory.

4. What factors influence the trajectory of an electron in a B field with random energy kick?

The trajectory of an electron in a B field with random energy kick is influenced by several factors, including the strength and orientation of the B field, the energy and direction of the random energy kick, and the initial velocity of the electron. Other factors such as the mass and charge of the electron also play a role in determining its trajectory.

5. What are the practical applications of studying electron trajectory in a B field with random energy kick?

Studying electron trajectory in a B field with random energy kick has several practical applications. It is crucial for understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and can also help in the design and optimization of these devices. Additionally, this phenomenon is relevant in many areas of physics, such as plasma physics and astrophysics, and can provide insights into the behavior of charged particles in these environments.