Electron Multiplier in electrons detection

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of discrete electron multiplier (dynodes) for positive and electron detection with a power supply of -2 kV on the first dynode and 0 V on the last one. The question is whether the reflector electrode can be used as a conversion dynode and with which voltage applied. A relevant resource on resistor voltage divider biasing is also mentioned.
Ravaner
Hello. I used discrete electron multiplier (dynodes) for positive ions detection, and it works fine. Now I want to use it for electrons detection with no changes in mode of connecting power supply (-2 kV on 1st dynode, 0 V on last one) . In the past application I don't use the reflector electrode (removed) may I use it as conversion dynode ? With which kind of voltage applied ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
thanks for your reply. In fact my question is about the use of reflector electrode as conversion dynode.

Related to Electron Multiplier in electrons detection

1. What is an Electron Multiplier?

An Electron Multiplier is a device used in electron detection, typically in mass spectrometry and particle physics experiments. It is a series of metal plates with high voltage applied between them, creating a cascade of secondary electrons that amplifies the original electron signal.

2. How does an Electron Multiplier work?

The Electron Multiplier works by using a phenomenon called secondary electron emission. When an electron enters the first plate, it collides with the metal and knocks off several electrons. These secondary electrons then move on to the next plate, where the process repeats, resulting in a cascade of electrons that greatly amplifies the original signal.

3. What are the advantages of using an Electron Multiplier?

The main advantage of using an Electron Multiplier is its high sensitivity and amplification capabilities. It can detect very low levels of electron currents and amplify them to measurable levels. It also has a fast response time and can handle a wide range of electron energies.

4. What are the applications of Electron Multipliers?

Electron Multipliers are commonly used in mass spectrometry, particle physics experiments, and other scientific instruments that require high sensitivity electron detection. They are also used in night vision devices and photomultiplier tubes for detecting photons.

5. How is the performance of an Electron Multiplier evaluated?

The performance of an Electron Multiplier is evaluated based on its gain, noise, and linearity. Gain refers to the amplification factor of the device, noise refers to any unwanted signals, and linearity refers to the ability to accurately measure the intensity of the original electron signal. Other factors such as response time, detection efficiency, and operating voltage are also considered when evaluating the performance of an Electron Multiplier.