Electron in uniform field caused by two plates

In summary, an electron is projected with an initial speed of 1.60 * 10^6 m/s into a uniform electric field between two parallel plates. The plates are 1cm apart and each is 2cm across. The electron enters the field at a point midway between the plates and just misses the upper plate as it exits the field. To find the magnitude of the electric field, the time and distance traveled by the electron in the field must be calculated. After correcting for a factor of four, the calculated electric field is 364N/C, which is 1/4 of the textbook answer of 1456 N/C.
Fluxthroughme

Homework Statement

An electron is projected with an initial speed [itex]v_0 = 1.60 * 10^6 m/s[/itex] into a uniform field between two parallel plates, separated by a distance of 1cm, and each plate is 2cm across. Assume the field outside the plates is zero. The electron enters the field at a point midway between the plates. If the electron just missing the upper plate as it emerges from the field (So it travels 2cm in the field before leaving it), find the magnitude of the electric field

2. The attempt at a solution

For the velocity component perpendicular to the field lines, we get the time it spends in the field: [itex]s = \frac{u + v}{2} t. s = 2 * 10^{-2} = (1.6*10^6)t \Rightarrow t = \frac{2*10^{-2}}{1.6*10^6}[/itex]
So I take the component parallel to the field lines [itex]v = u + at. u = 0 \Rightarrow v = at. v^2 = u^2 + 2as \Rightarrow a^2t^2 = 2as \Rightarrow a = \frac{2s}{t^2}[/itex]
Now since I want the value of the electric field, I use the value of a and t I just worked out to get [itex]F = ma = Eq \Rightarrow E = \frac{ma}{q}[/itex].
Using m, mass of the electron, a from the values above, and q, the charge on the electron. Saving time typing out all the fractions, I get [itex]a = 2.56 * 10^14. m = 9.1*10^{-31}. q = 1.6 * 10^{-19}. E = 1456 N/C[/itex]

The textbook gives an answer of 364N/C - exactly 1/4 of that, so I've clearly missed a factor of four somewhere. But I don't know where?

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get for the time? What distance did you use in calculating the acceleration?

Doc Al said:
What did you get for the time? What distance did you use in calculating the acceleration?

Ahh! There's my factor of four; I had forgotten to change the distance from [itex]s = 2*10^{-2}[/itex] to [itex]0.5*10^{-2}[/itex]. Thank you!

Related to Electron in uniform field caused by two plates

1. What is an electron in a uniform field caused by two plates?

An electron in a uniform field caused by two plates refers to an electron that is moving in a straight line between two parallel plates with a constant electric field. The electron experiences a force due to the electric field and is accelerated or decelerated depending on the direction of the field and the charge of the electron.

2. How is the motion of an electron affected by the electric field between two plates?

The motion of an electron is affected by the electric field between two plates because the electron experiences a force due to the electric field. The direction of the force depends on the direction of the field and the charge of the electron. If the field is directed towards the negative plate, the electron will be accelerated towards the positive plate. If the field is directed towards the positive plate, the electron will be decelerated towards the negative plate.

3. What is the relationship between the electric field strength and the motion of an electron between two plates?

The relationship between the electric field strength and the motion of an electron between two plates is directly proportional. This means that as the electric field strength increases, the force on the electron also increases, resulting in a greater acceleration or deceleration of the electron.

4. What is the role of the distance between the two plates in the motion of an electron?

The distance between the two plates plays a significant role in the motion of an electron. The electric field strength is directly proportional to the distance between the plates, so a smaller distance between the plates will result in a stronger electric field and a greater force on the electron. This will lead to a faster motion of the electron between the plates.

5. How does the charge of the electron affect its motion in a uniform field between two plates?

The charge of the electron plays a crucial role in its motion in a uniform field between two plates. The direction of the force on the electron is determined by the charge of the electron and the direction of the electric field. A positively charged electron will experience a force in the opposite direction of a negatively charged electron in the same electric field. This will result in different motions for the two types of electrons between the plates.