Electron equations of motion through an uniform magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of an electron in a uniform magnetic field and how to find the equations of motion. The Lorentz Force and Newton's Second Law are used to derive the differential equations for the components of the velocity. After correcting a small mistake, the solution for the velocity components is found, which leads to the equations of motion being those of a circle. The conversation also addresses a mistake in the attempted solution.
libelec

Homework Statement

An electron enters a zone of uniform magnetic field [tex]\vec B = 0,4T{\rm{ }}\hat j[/tex] with velocity [tex]{\vec V_0} = {10^5}m/s{\rm{ }}\hat i[/tex]. Find the differential equations that govern its motion through the field, and solve them to find the equations of motion. What happens to its kinetic energy?

Homework Equations

- Lorentz Force = [tex]q\vec V \otimes \vec B[/tex]
- Newton's Second Law = [tex]\sum {\vec F} = m\frac{{{\partial ^2}\vec r}}{{\partial {t^2}}}[/tex]
- Conservation of Kinetic Energy = [tex]\Delta {E_k} = {W_{all{\rm{ }}forces}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the answer should be that the electron's trajectory is a circle. But I can't get there throught the differential equations:

If I don't take the electron's weight into account, I have that the only force acting upon it is the Lorentz Force. Using Newton's Second Law:

[tex]\vec F = q\vec V \otimes \vec B = m\frac{{d\vec V}}{{dt}}[/tex]
-[tex] 0 = m\frac{{d{V_x}}}{{dt}}[/tex]
-[tex] 0 = m\frac{{d{V_y}}}{{dt}}[/tex]
-[tex] q{V_x}B = m\frac{{d{V_z}}}{{dt}}[/tex]

Then

-[tex]{V_x} = {10^5}m/s[/tex]
-[tex]{V_y} = 0[/tex]
-[tex]\frac{{q{V_x}B}}{m}t = {V_z}[/tex]

I know there's something wrong: since the only force acting upon the electron is the Lorentz Force, being a central force (perpendicular to the trajectory), it doesn't do any work, the kinetic energy conserves and therefore the module of V should be constant. Which doesn't happen if the solution I found is true (I know it's wrong).

What's wrong with my resolution?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can not assume that the x component of the velocity stays constant. Decompose the Lorentz force into all components, assuming non-zero components of velocity, and discuss what you got.

ehild

You say that instead of keeping the Lorentz Force this way:

[tex]\vec F = q\vec V \otimes \vec B = q{V_x}B{\rm{ }}\hat i[/tex]

I should rewrite the Lorentz Force this way?:

[tex]\vec F = q\vec V \otimes \vec B = q\left| {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
{\hat i} & {\hat j} & {\hat k} \\
{{V_x}} & {{V_y}} & {{V_z}} \\
0 & B & 0 \\
\end{array}} \right| = - q{V_z}B{\rm{ }}\hat i + q{V_x}B{\rm{ }}\hat k[/tex]

It is correct. Now you can set up the differential equations for Vx, Vy and Vz.

ehild

Could somebody correct me if I'm wrong?

Given the new set of differential equations:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\frac{{d{V_x}}}{{dt}} = \frac{{q{V_z}B}}{m} \\
\frac{{d{V_y}}}{{dt}} = 0 \\
\frac{{d{V_z}}}{{dt}} = \frac{{q{V_x}B}}{m} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

I calculate:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{V_z} = \left( {\frac{{d{V_x}}}{{dt}}} \right)\frac{m}{{qB}} \\
{V_y} = 0 \\
\frac{{d{V_z}}}{{dt}} = \frac{{q{V_x}B}}{m} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{V_y} = 0 \\
\frac{{d\left( {\frac{{d{V_x}}}{{dt}}\frac{m}{{qB}}} \right)}}{{dt}} = \frac{{q{V_x}B}}{m} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{V_y} = 0 \\
\frac{{{d^2}{V_x}}}{{d{t^2}}}\frac{m}{{qB}} = \frac{{q{V_x}B}}{m} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{V_y} = 0 \\
\frac{{{d^2}{V_x}}}{{d{t^2}}} = \frac{{{q^2}{B^2}}}{{{m^2}}}{V_x} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

I propose the solution for Vx (should I include the 50 that way?):

[tex]{V_x} = 50\cos \left( {\frac{{qB}}{m}t} \right)
[/tex]

Then I solve that:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{V_x} = 50\cos \left( {\frac{{qB}}{m}t} \right) \\
{V_y} = 0 \\
{V_z} = - 50\sin \left( {\frac{{qB}}{m}t} \right) \\
\end{array}

[/tex]

I will get a similar expression for rx, ry and rz, which translates (I think) into the equation of a circle.

Is this OK?

Just a small mistake:

[tex]

\frac{dV_x}{dt} = -\frac{qV_zB}{m}
[/tex]

ehild

Thank you very much.

Related to Electron equations of motion through an uniform magnetic field

What is an electron equation of motion through an uniform magnetic field?

An electron equation of motion is a mathematical representation of the motion of an electron in a magnetic field. It takes into account the influences of the magnetic field on the electron's velocity, acceleration, and trajectory.

How do you calculate the electron's velocity in a uniform magnetic field?

The velocity of an electron in a uniform magnetic field can be calculated using the equation v = qB/m, where v is the velocity, q is the electron's charge, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and m is the mass of the electron.

What is the significance of the magnetic field's direction in the electron equation of motion?

The direction of the magnetic field is crucial in the electron equation of motion because it determines the direction of the force acting on the electron. The electron will experience a force perpendicular to its velocity and the magnetic field, causing it to change direction.

Can an electron's motion in a uniform magnetic field be described using Newton's laws of motion?

Yes, an electron's motion in a uniform magnetic field can be described using Newton's laws of motion. The force acting on the electron is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, as described by Newton's second law. Additionally, the electron will continue in a straight line in the absence of a force, in accordance with Newton's first law.

How does the strength of the magnetic field affect an electron's motion?

The strength of the magnetic field has a direct impact on the force acting on the electron and, therefore, its motion. A stronger magnetic field will result in a greater force on the electron and, consequently, a larger change in its velocity and trajectory.