Electron beam hitting a metal plate

In summary, the conversation revolves around the voltage of the current in a wire to the ground. It is suggested that the voltage should be zero since the wire is connected to ground. However, depending on the energy of the electrons, there is a possibility of X-rays being produced. It is also mentioned that Gamma rays can be produced with high enough kinetic energy, though there is a distinction between Gamma and X-rays based on their origin. The Faraday Cup is mentioned as a potential instrument for measuring the amount of charge that hits a metal plate.
abdo799
So i have this simple situation where i have an electron beam with a certain kinetic energy, and i have a metal plate connected to the ground, and the electrons hit the plate, now i want to know the voltage of the current in the wire to the ground. Now i know both kinetic energy of the electrons and the current so if the energy of a current is V*I*t and the energy we can get from a certain number or electrons is N*Ke where N is the number of electrons is N and Ke is the kinetic energy , this gives us V=Ke but i don't know if that's right, so if it's wrong , what's the right answer ?

Physics news on Phys.org
abdo799 said:
So i have this simple situation where i have an electron beam with a certain kinetic energy, and i have a metal plate connected to the ground, and the electrons hit the plate, now i want to know the voltage of the current in the wire to the ground.

I would expect it to be zero because it's connected to ground

depending on the energy of the electrons, there's a higher chance of X-rays being produced

Likes abdo799
davenn said:
I would expect it to be zero because it's connected to ground

depending on the energy of the electrons, there's a higher chance of X-rays being produced
what if the electrons don't have enough energy to produce x-rays

They won't produce them. But this doesn't change the answer. I thing davenn mentioned x-rays as a side aspects.

Likes abdo799 and davenn
nasu said:
They won't produce them. But this doesn't change the answer. I thing davenn mentioned x-rays as a side aspects.

indeed :)

abdo799 said:
what if the electrons don't have enough energy to produce x-rays

then they just go straight to ground

Likes abdo799
davenn said:
indeed :)
then they just go straight to ground
i did some research about that and i have 1 last question, can they produce gamma rays if the kinetic energy is really high or it has a limit to the energy of photon produced and the rest becomes heat, i personally think it's the second choice, but i am always wrong , so what do you think?

Now I'm not a particle physicist OK ( those in the field may chime in with additional info)

putting aside astronomical sources of Gamma rays ... stars, black holes etc

on earth, Gamma rays are produced in the natural radioactive decay process, along with Alpha and Beta particles
would be the principle source. a secondary source is produced by firing Gamma rays at a atom where you can get an electron-positron annihilation
which results in the release of Gamma rays
( I personally don't want to go deeper than that without getting out of my depth very quickly :wink: )

Dave

abdo799 said:
i did some research about that and i have 1 last question, can they produce gamma rays if the kinetic energy is really high or it has a limit to the energy of photon produced and the rest becomes heat, i personally think it's the second choice, but i am always wrong , so what do you think?

Yes, electrons fired into a stationary target are used to produce EM radiation of up to 25 MeV, if not more. Note that since this radiation isn't produced by the decay of an atomic nucleus it would probably be classified as high energy X-rays, not gamma rays. The distinction between the two is that gamma radiation is usually defined to be EM radiation produced by the decay of an atomic nucleus, regardless of the energy of the radiation. A notable exception is in astronomy, where the two are defined according to their energy.

To quote wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_ray

The distinction between X-rays and gamma rays has changed in recent decades. Originally, the electromagnetic radiation emitted by X-ray tubes almost invariably had a longer wavelength than the radiation (gamma rays) emitted by radioactive nuclei.[6]Older literature distinguished between X- and gamma radiation on the basis of wavelength, with radiation shorter than some arbitrary wavelength, such as 10−11 m, defined as gamma rays.[7] However, with artificial sources now able to duplicate any electromagnetic radiation that originates in the nucleus, as well as far higher energies, the wavelengths characteristic of radioactive gamma ray sources vs. other types, now completely overlap. Thus, gamma rays are now usually distinguished by their origin: X-rays are emitted by definition by electrons outside the nucleus, while gamma rays are emitted by the nucleus.[6][8][9][10] Exceptions to this convention occur in astronomy, where gamma decay is seen in the afterglow of certain supernovas, but other high energy processes known to involve other than radioactive decay are still classed as sources of gamma radiation.

Likes abdo799
Wow. This thing started out being quite simple, and has turned into a radiation-generating device!

To the OP: you may want to look at an instrument called the Faraday Cup. And yes, you can measure the amount of charge that hit the metal plate, in principle. This instrument is used in many accelerator beamline as an alternative to the ICT (integrated charge transformer) to measure the amount of charge in a bunch. The physics of it is rather easy to follow. Of course, to make a low-noise, high time-resolution device will require a lot of other things, but the principle is the same.

Zz.

Related to Electron beam hitting a metal plate

1. How does an electron beam hit a metal plate?

When an electron beam comes into contact with a metal plate, it causes the atoms in the metal to vibrate at a higher frequency. This high-frequency vibration creates heat, which in turn causes the electrons in the metal to move and create an electric current.

2. What are the effects of an electron beam hitting a metal plate?

The effects of an electron beam hitting a metal plate can vary depending on the intensity and duration of the beam. In general, it can cause heating, melting, or even vaporization of the metal. It can also create electric currents, change the properties of the metal, and even alter its structure at the atomic level.

3. Can an electron beam damage a metal plate?

Yes, an electron beam can damage a metal plate if it is too intense or if it is focused on one spot for too long. This can cause the metal to melt, warp, or even break apart. It can also cause changes in the metal's properties, such as making it more brittle or reducing its conductivity.

4. How is an electron beam used to manipulate metal plates?

Electron beams can be used to manipulate metal plates in a variety of ways. They can be used to cut, weld, or etch metal surfaces. They can also be used to deposit thin films of metal onto a surface, or to create intricate patterns and designs on metal plates.

5. Is there any potential danger from an electron beam hitting a metal plate?

Yes, there can be potential danger from an electron beam hitting a metal plate. The intense heat and radiation emitted from the beam can be harmful to humans, so proper safety precautions must be taken when working with electron beams. Additionally, the high energy of the electron beam can also cause explosions or fires if not handled properly.