Electron accelerated through a PD

• Thread starter hockeyhoser23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electron Pd
But since you're going to all the trouble to accelerate the electron, it's probably not going to be traveling at non-relativistic speeds :tongue:In summary, the conversation discusses the need for the velocity of an electron in order to calculate its energy, but traditional equations do not work due to the electron's velocity potentially exceeding the speed of light. A relativistic equation and the use of the gamma factor are suggested as solutions. The conversation concludes with
hockeyhoser23
An electron is accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 2 X 10^6 V. I need the velocity of the electron in order to calculate the energy of the particle. Using 1/2mv^2=u doesn't work because you get v > c. I can't seem to find an eqn to make the relativistic correction. Could someone help me find the velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hockeyhoser23! :smile:

I need the velocity of the electron in order to calculate the energy of the particle. Using 1/2mv^2=u doesn't work because you get v > c. I can't seem to find an eqn to make the relativistic correction.[/QUOTE]

Use energy = m/√(1 - v2/c2) :smile:

just mass over the gamma factor?

oops! I missed out a c2. :redface:

Yes, just mc2/gamma … when v is small, that's approximately mc2 + (1/2)mv2 :wink:

hockeyhoser23 said:
just mass over the gamma factor?

He means [itex]\gamma mc^2[/itex]

EDIT: tinytim beat me to it:smile:

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
oops! I missed out a c2. :redface:

Yes, just mc2/gamma …

Errr... you mean "mc2 times gamma" right?

gabbagabbahey said:
Errr... you mean "mc2 times gamma" right?

no idea … never use it … was just copying hockeyhoser23 :smile:

^ yeah sorry, gamma = 1 / (1-v^2/c^2)^1/2, so it would be gamma*mc^2

Related to Electron accelerated through a PD

1. What is a PD in relation to electron acceleration?

A PD, or potential difference, is the difference in electrical potential between two points. In the context of electron acceleration, it refers to the difference in electrical potential between the source of electrons and the target they are accelerated towards.

2. How is an electron accelerated through a PD?

An electron can be accelerated through a PD by applying a voltage across the source and target. This creates an electric field that exerts a force on the electron, causing it to accelerate towards the target.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of an electron through a PD?

The acceleration of an electron through a PD can be affected by the magnitude of the applied voltage, the distance between the source and target, and the presence of any other electric or magnetic fields that may influence the electron's movement.

4. What is the purpose of accelerating electrons through a PD?

The purpose of accelerating electrons through a PD is to increase their kinetic energy, allowing them to collide with other particles or materials with greater force. This can be useful in a variety of scientific and industrial applications, such as particle accelerators and electron microscopy.

5. Are there any potential risks or dangers associated with electron acceleration through a PD?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with electron acceleration through a PD. High voltages can be dangerous and may cause electric shock if proper precautions are not taken. Additionally, the high-speed collisions of electrons with other particles or materials can produce radiation that can be harmful to living organisms.