Electromagnetism: Can anyone find the mistake?

In summary, the electric field at a point on the axis a distance x from the plane of a ring is E=\frac {q*x} {4*pi*E0*(x^2+r^2)^{3/2}}.
*Alice*
given: the electric field at a point on the axis a distance x from the plane of a ring is [tex]E = \frac {q*x} {4*pi*E0*(x^2+r^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

where E0
is the permeability coefficient

The charged ring is replaced by a circular sheet of charge of radius a a surface charge density sigma. The ring can be divided into infinitessimally small rings of radius r and thicknes dr. Show that the electric field is given by [tex] E= \frac {sigma} {2*E0} * [1 - \frac {x} {(x^2 + a^2)^{1/2}}][/tex]

this is what I did:

charge on each ring:

[tex] 2*pi*r*sigma*dr = A*sigma=Q [/tex]

Electric field on each ring:

[tex] E = \frac {2*pi*sigma*dr*x*r} {4*pi*E0*(x^2 + r^2)^{3/2}} = \frac {sigma*dr*x*r} {2*E0*(x^2 + r^2)^{3/2}} [/tex]

Integrate over ring:

[tex] \frac {sigma} {2*E0} * \int_{0}^{a} \frac {r} {(x^2 + r^2)^{3/2}} dx = \frac {sigma} {2*E0} * [-1/2*\frac{1} {(x^2+a^2)^{0.5}}] (from 0 to a) = \frac {sigma} {4*E0}* [1 - \frac {x} {(x^2+a^2)^{.5}}] [/tex]

why is that factor 4 here (it's supposed to be 2)? Help's very much appreciated!
LaTeX

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you missed a 'r' in the numerator in when you calculated Electric field on each ring:

Yes, sorry...missed to write that one in one line. However, I had it back in the integration the line below, so that it didn't affect the answer. It's now edited.

Does anyone have any idea about that factor 4?

Last edited:
The factor is supposed to be '2'. The derivative of [itex] r^2 [/itex] is [itex] 2r [/itex]. So if you take that into account, you will not get '4'.

That's exactly what I did and that caused all the trouble:

substitute: u= x^2 + a^2

so then you have to multiply by (1/2)...oh yeah...I see! I didn't multiply by two when I did the integration...

Oh dear! :cry:

Anyways - thank you so much!
:cool:

Related to Electromagnetism: Can anyone find the mistake?

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force of nature that describes the interactions between charged particles and the electromagnetic field.

2. How does electromagnetism work?

Electromagnetism works through the exchange of photons between charged particles, creating electric and magnetic fields that can attract or repel each other.

3. What are some real-life applications of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism has numerous real-life applications, including electricity and magnetism, electromagnets, motors, generators, transformers, and modern technologies such as computers, smartphones, and MRI machines.

4. Can you explain the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two interconnected phenomena that are part of the electromagnetic force. Electricity is the flow of electric charge, while magnetism is the force exerted by moving charges. However, in certain situations, such as electromagnets, electricity and magnetism can be used interchangeably.

5. Can you find any mistakes in the theory of electromagnetism?

There have been numerous studies and experiments conducted on electromagnetism, and so far, no major mistakes have been found in the theory. However, like any scientific theory, it is constantly evolving and being refined as new evidence and discoveries are made.