Electromagnetism, calculation of B

In summary, the conversation discusses the force on a small circular conductor with a current in a big iron plate with a hole drilled through it. The plate has a magnetization \bar{M} = M_0 \frac{a}{s} \hat{s} and the conductor has a radius b << a. The force is found using the knowledge that only the z component of the force matters and that the z component of B gives a net force.
usn7564

Homework Statement

A very big iron plate with the thickness 2h have, far from the plates edges, had a hole with the radius a drilled through it. With respect to the holes axis of symmetry the plate has a magnetization

[tex]\bar{M} = M_0 \frac{a}{s} \hat{s}[/tex]

where s is the distance from the axis of symmetry.

In the hole, centered around the axis there is a small circular conductor with the current I with radius b << a.

Find the force on the conductor.

The Attempt at a Solution

I went ahead and found the bound charges which proved to be only on the top and bottom surfaces which proved to be

[tex]\bar{K} = M_0 \frac{a}{s} -\hat{\phi}[/tex] for the upper surface and the same in the reversed direction for the lower.

Now with simply the right hand rule I concluded that the only B which will give a net force is the one in the s direction (giving a force in the z direction). The force from phi disappears in the cross product of biot savart, the force from z disappears due to symmetry. Then using with the knowledge that the only force that matters is the z component of the force:

[tex]\bar{F} = \Delta(\bar{m} \cdot \bar{B}) = \bar{m} \cdot \frac {d \bar{B}}{dz}\hat{z}[/tex]

So I get that due to m being dotted with B only the z component survives of B, but I also concluded that the z component of B would not give a net force. Yet it ends up being the only one that gives a net force? There's something I'm misunderstanding 100% here.

and seems my tophats aren't working, but they're the unit vectors

Attachments

• hole.png
    hole.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 409
  • B.png
    B.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For hats use \hat instead of \^.

Last edited:
dauto said:
for hats use \hat instead of \^.
That worked, thanks.

Related to Electromagnetism, calculation of B

What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between electricity and magnetism. It explains how electric fields and magnetic fields are related, and how they interact with each other.

What is the calculation of B?

The calculation of B refers to the calculation of the magnetic field strength, also known as the magnetic flux density. It is represented by the symbol B and is measured in units of teslas (T) or gauss (G).

How is the magnetic field strength calculated?

The magnetic field strength B can be calculated using the equation B = μ0 * I / (2πr), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current-carrying wire. This equation is known as the Biot-Savart law.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is affected by the current, the distance from the current-carrying wire, and the permeability of the material surrounding the wire. The direction of the magnetic field is also influenced by the direction of the current and the shape of the wire.

How is the magnetic field strength used in practical applications?

The calculation of B is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and in particle accelerators to control the trajectory of particles.