Electromagnetics - finding wavelength from e_r and f

In summary, the question asks for the phase velocity and wavelength of a transmission line with a length of 1 meter and a relative dielectric constant of 2.25 at a frequency of 50 MHz. The equations for finding wavelength and phase velocity are given, but the relevant equation for finding wavelength cannot be found in the text. However, a resource is provided that covers the topic. The length of the transmission line is not necessary for solving the problem and a hint is given to find the simple relationship between relative dielectric constant and phase velocity, which applies to both transmission lines and light.
a_lawson_2k

Homework Statement

A transmission line is 1 meter and has a relative dielectric constant of 2.25
Find the phase velocity u and the wavelength λ for a frequency of 50 MHz.

Homework Equations

λ=?(ε_r, f)
u=λf

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unable to get from the relative dielectric constant and frequency to the wavelength. I could not find any such equation in my text.

My guess is the transmission line datum is extraneous, but I could be wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thne length is immaterial, don't know why it's included.

To answer the question, what is the simple relationship between relative dielectric constant and the phase velocity? It applies to the transmission line and also to light. For light, think n for a hint.

Related to Electromagnetics - finding wavelength from e_r and f

1. What is the formula for finding wavelength from e_r and f?

The formula for finding wavelength from e_r and f is:

λ = c / (f * √(e_r))

Where λ is the wavelength, c is the speed of light in a vacuum (3x10^8 m/s), f is the frequency in Hz, and e_r is the relative permittivity of the medium.

2. How does the relative permittivity affect the wavelength of an electromagnetic wave?

The relative permittivity of a medium affects the wavelength of an electromagnetic wave by altering the speed at which the wave travels through the medium. This is because the wavelength is inversely proportional to the square root of the relative permittivity. A higher relative permittivity will result in a shorter wavelength, while a lower relative permittivity will result in a longer wavelength.

3. Can the wavelength of an electromagnetic wave change within the same medium?

No, the wavelength of an electromagnetic wave cannot change within the same medium. The wavelength is determined by the properties of the medium and the frequency of the wave, and these do not change unless the medium or frequency change.

4. What units should be used for frequency and relative permittivity in the wavelength formula?

The frequency should be in Hz (Hertz) and the relative permittivity should be unitless. However, it is important to use consistent units throughout the formula to ensure accurate results.

5. Can the wavelength of an electromagnetic wave be longer than the distance it travels?

No, the wavelength of an electromagnetic wave cannot be longer than the distance it travels. This is because the wavelength is directly related to the distance traveled by the wave. If the wavelength were longer than the distance, it would mean that the wave has traveled more than one full cycle, which is not possible.