Electromagnetic Waves: EM Wave

In summary, the conversation discusses an AC power generator with a voltage of 110 V at 60.0 Hz, connected in series with a 0.300 H inductor, a 5.80 μF capacitor, and a 236 Ω resistor. It asks for the impedance of the circuit, the rms current through the resistor, the average power dissipated in the circuit, the peak current through the resistor, the peak voltage across the inductor and capacitor, and the new frequency when the circuit is in resonance.
OsDaJu
AC Circuits II: AC Power Generator

Homework Statement

A An AC generator supplies an rms voltage of 110 V at 60.0 Hz. It is connected in series with a 0.300 H inductor, a 5.80 μF capacitor and a 236 Ω resistor.
What is the impedance of the circuit?

B What is the rms current through the resistor?

C What is the average power dissipated in the circuit?

D What is the peak current through the resistor?

E What is the peak voltage across the inductor?

F What is the peak voltage across the capacitor?

G The generator frequency is now changed so that the circuit is in resonance. What is that new (resonance) frequency?

Homework Equations

Z=[R^2+(XL-Xc)^2]^(1/2)
XL=2pifL
Xc=1/(2pifc)

Part E: VL=[(2^.5)*Vrms]/Z
Part F: VL=[(2^.5)*Vrms]/Xc

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help for part E and F

I substituted the numbers in the equation and I got the wrong answer.

Xc=457.34
Vrms=110
Z=4.17×10^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you were given is for the electric field, though. Part B is asking about the magnetic field.

Thanks, I didn't see that one. I changed the forum to a different question. Do you think you can help me with this one?

I changed the forum to a different question.
Please don't change the questions.

If you have a further related question, then just add it.

If it's different then start a new thread. Otherwise, people may not pick up on the fact that your new question requires attention.

Oh sorry about that, I made a new one.

If it's different then start a new thread. Otherwise, people may not pick up on the fact that your new question requires attention.
It also makes any help given look like nonsense.

That'll teach me not to forget to quote it next time. :redface:

Related to Electromagnetic Waves: EM Wave

What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that can travel through space. They are created when an electric field and a magnetic field interact with each other.

What are the properties of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have several properties, including wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and speed. They also have the ability to travel through a vacuum and do not require a medium to propagate.

How are electromagnetic waves classified?

Electromagnetic waves are classified based on their wavelength, which ranges from very long radio waves to very short gamma rays. The electromagnetic spectrum is divided into seven regions: radio, microwave, infrared, visible, ultraviolet, X-ray, and gamma ray.

What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have a wide range of applications, including communication systems such as radio, television, and cell phones. They are also used in medical imaging, cooking, and many other technologies.

What is the relationship between electromagnetic waves and light?

Light is a type of electromagnetic wave that falls within the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum. Other types of electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves and X-rays, are not visible to the human eye but still have similar properties to light.