Electromagnetic muscles? Practical?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using tiny electromagnets to create a robotics actuator resembling a muscle. The idea has been tried before but has not been widely used due to limitations in technology. Other options, such as motor driven ball screws and electroactive polymers, are also mentioned as potential alternatives. However, further research is needed for these options.
kolleamm
Here's my idea for a robotics actuator resembling a muscle. Lots of tiny electromagnets closely packed attracting each other to flex an artificial muscle.

It seems like such an obvious idea, why isn't anyone using it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
Here's my idea for a robotics actuator resembling a muscle. Lots of tiny electromagnets closely packed attracting each other to flex an artificial muscle.

Various ideas along these lines have been tried, some successfully. But it is hard to beat a simple solenoid for power to weight ratio. The circular form of a solenoid (an electric motor) is better still.

Keep thinking. Someone needs to invent new things. :oldeyes:

kolleamm said:

Well I hate to say this but probably for the same reason we are not using warp drives for spaceships. We have not developed the technology to do it. Sorry, I just thought your question was worded strangely.

Thank you for the help everyone. Last I checked electroactive polymers still require a lot of research into how they function, but I'm definitely interested in them.

Related to Electromagnetic muscles? Practical?

1. What are electromagnetic muscles?

Electromagnetic muscles are artificial muscles that use electromagnetic fields to create movement. They are made of flexible materials, such as polymers or carbon nanotubes, and are designed to mimic the movement and function of natural muscles.

2. How do electromagnetic muscles work?

Electromagnetic muscles work by using the principles of electromagnetism. They consist of a coil of wire surrounded by a magnet. When an electrical current is passed through the coil, it creates a magnetic field, which causes the coil to contract. This contraction is what produces movement in the muscle.

3. What are the practical applications of electromagnetic muscles?

Electromagnetic muscles have a wide range of practical applications, including in robotics, prosthetics, and medical devices. They can be used to create lifelike movement in robots, provide more natural movement in prosthetic limbs, and assist with muscle rehabilitation in medical devices.

4. Are electromagnetic muscles safe for human use?

Yes, electromagnetic muscles are generally considered safe for human use. They are made of biocompatible materials and can be controlled with precision, making them suitable for use in medical devices and prosthetics. However, proper safety protocols should always be followed when using them.

5. Can electromagnetic muscles be used to enhance athletic performance?

There is currently limited research on using electromagnetic muscles for athletic performance enhancement. While they may provide additional strength and power, they may also have potential risks and limitations. More research is needed in this area before any definitive conclusions can be made.