Electromagnetic induction near a generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of inducing current in a wire coil by placing it in a magnetic field or near a generator. The person asking the question is a high school student and is curious about the effects of the magnetic field on the coil. The other person explains that while it is possible in theory, well-designed generators and transformers use iron cores to guide the magnetic field for maximum efficiency, making the stray magnetic field too small to be usable. They also suggest using a small motor from a battery-powered toy to generate a small amount of current.
silvercrow
Hi , i am a high school student ( class 10 ) and after reading about electromagnetic induction iwas thinking about what if u place a wire coil connected to a circuit in the magnetic field / near a generator ? Because electricity is turned of for a fraction of a second there will be great variation of magnetic field which would induce current in the coil ? Am i incorrect ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, in principle. However, well-designed generators and transformers use iron cores to guide magnetic fields lines for maximum efficiency so that the stray magnetic field is very small and not really usable. It may be measureable, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_core

M Quack said:
Yes, in principle. However, well-designed generators and transformers use iron cores to guide magnetic fields lines for maximum efficiency so that the stray magnetic field is very small and not really usable. It may be measureable, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_core

oo thanks buddy but tell me how much rotation speed of magnets i need to induce a small amount of current like lighting a really small bulb ?

Connect an LED to a small motor from a battery powered toy.

Hello, as a scientist, I can confirm that your understanding of electromagnetic induction is correct. When a wire coil is placed in a changing magnetic field, it will induce an electric current in the coil. This is known as Faraday's Law of Induction. So, if the wire coil is placed near a generator, which produces a constantly changing magnetic field, it will indeed induce a current in the coil. This is how generators work to produce electricity. However, the duration and magnitude of the induced current will depend on various factors such as the strength and speed of the magnetic field changes, the properties of the wire and circuit, and the distance between the coil and the generator. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of electromagnetic induction.

Related to Electromagnetic induction near a generator

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field produces an electric current in a conductor. This phenomenon was first discovered by Michael Faraday in the 19th century.

2. How does a generator use electromagnetic induction?

A generator uses electromagnetic induction by rotating a coil of wire within a magnetic field. As the coil rotates, the magnetic field lines cut through the wire, producing an electric current.

3. What factors affect the strength of the induced current near a generator?

The strength of the induced current near a generator is affected by the speed of the rotation, the strength of the magnetic field, and the number of turns in the coil.

4. Can electromagnetic induction occur without a generator?

Yes, electromagnetic induction can occur without a generator. It can also occur in other situations, such as when a magnet is moved near a conductor or when a conductor is moved through a magnetic field.

5. How is electromagnetic induction used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic induction is used in everyday life in many ways, such as in generators that produce electricity, in transformers that help transmit electricity over long distances, and in devices like electric motors and induction cooktops.