Electromagnetic induction and alternating currents

In summary, removing the iron core from a solenoid connected in series with a resistance to a battery will cause a momentary increase in current due to the decrease in inductance and the induced EMF produced by Lenz's Law. The inductive reactance of the solenoid, which is determined by its inductance, will still be present even in a DC circuit.
kihr

Homework Statement

A solenoid with an iron core inside it is connected in series with a resistance to a battery. What happens to the defelction in the ammeter connected in the circuit when the iron core is suddenly removed?

Homework Equations

Inductive reactance = wL
Induced e.m.f. = - dPhi/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Alternative 1

We take w=0 since this is a d.c. circuit. Hence inductive reactance of the solenoid = 0. Therefore removing the iron core from the solenoid has no effect on the current.

Alternative 2

When the iron core is suddenly withdrawn from inside the solenoid, an e.m.f. is induced in the solenoid to oppose the change (i.e. reduction of the magnetic field inside it). Hence a momentary increase in current will take place as the solenoid will try to retain its initial magnetic field (B=Mu n I where Mu = permeability; n= no. of turns per unit length; I = current through solenoid).

In my opinion Alternative 2 is the correct answer. I would, however, like to receive comments / views of the Forum members. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I would like to offer my perspective on this question.

Firstly, it is important to note that the inductive reactance of a solenoid does not depend on the frequency of the current passing through it. It is solely determined by the inductance of the solenoid, which is a physical property of the solenoid. Therefore, even though the frequency is zero in a DC circuit, the inductive reactance of the solenoid will still be present.

Now, in Alternative 1, you have correctly stated that the inductive reactance of the solenoid is zero. However, this does not mean that removing the iron core will have no effect on the current. The inductance of the solenoid is also affected by the presence or absence of the iron core. When the iron core is present, the inductance of the solenoid is higher due to the higher permeability of iron compared to air. This means that when the iron core is suddenly removed, the inductance of the solenoid will decrease and hence the current will increase.

In Alternative 2, you have correctly stated that an induced EMF will be produced in the solenoid to oppose the change in the magnetic field. This is known as Lenz's Law. As a result, a momentary increase in current will occur, as you have mentioned.

In conclusion, both Alternative 1 and 2 are partially correct. The correct answer is a combination of both alternatives - removing the iron core will decrease the inductance of the solenoid, which in turn will cause an increase in current due to the induced EMF. I hope this clarifies your doubts. Thank you for your contribution to the forum.

Related to Electromagnetic induction and alternating currents

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process in which a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a conductor. This is based on Faraday's law and is the principle behind the functioning of generators and transformers.

2. How does alternating current differ from direct current?

Alternating current (AC) is a type of electrical current that constantly changes direction, while direct current (DC) flows in only one direction. AC is used to transmit electricity over long distances, while DC is often used in smaller electronic devices.

3. What is the role of transformers in alternating current?

Transformers are used to step up or step down the voltage of an alternating current. This is important for transmitting electricity over long distances and for matching the voltage requirements of different devices.

4. What are the applications of electromagnetic induction and alternating currents?

Electromagnetic induction and alternating currents have a wide range of applications, including power generation, electric motors, transformers, and wireless charging. They are also used in various electronic devices such as televisions, computers, and smartphones.

5. How does electromagnetic induction contribute to renewable energy sources?

Electromagnetic induction is a crucial component in the generation of electricity from renewable sources such as wind, hydro, and solar power. These sources use electromagnetic generators to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy through the principle of electromagnetic induction.