Electromagnetic Energy Density

In summary, the conversation discusses finding electromagnetic energy and momentum density, as well as their ratio, for different cases. These cases involve making substitutions for E and H based on given values for k_1 and k_2, and also involve equations for energy density, momentum density, intensity, and stress. The question asks for clarification on taking the dot product of exponential vectors in the given equations.
csrobertson

Homework Statement

Find the electromagnetic energy and momentum density and their ratio. \\Determine the instantaneous values of the energy density, momentum density, intensity, and stress associated with the electromagnetic fields for the following cases. Also, identify these cases. Assume that ${\bf D} = \epsilon{\bf E}$ and ${\bf B} = \mu {\bf H}$.}

Case 1:
\begin{flalign}
&\begin{cases}
{\bf{E}} = E_oe_2e^{i(k_1x_1-\omega t)}\\
{\bf{H}} = \frac{k}{\mu \omega}\vec{k} \times {\bf{E}}
\end{cases}
\mbox{ for } k_1 = \sqrt{\epsilon\mu}\omega, k_2=k_2=0.&
\end{flalign}

Case 2: Same as case 1 with k_1 = i\alpha

Case 3:
\begin{flalign}
&\begin{cases}
B_r = \frac{\mu_om}{2\pi}\frac{\cos\theta}{r^3}\\
B_{\theta} = \frac{\mu_om}{4\pi}\frac{\sin\theta}{r^3}
\end{cases}&
\end{flalign}

Homework Equations

Electromagnetic Energy Density:

\mu = 1/2 (E\cdot D + B\cdot H)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted making the substitutions into the above relevant equation and going through the math, however I am stuck on taking the dot product of exponential vectors. This might be something simple I am missing, but I have searched for hours online and have not been able to find a 'rule' for computing this value. Basically I need to know if:

E_oe_2e^{i(k_1x_1-\omega t)} \cdot E_oe_2e^{i(k_1x_1-\omega t)} = E_o^2 e_2^2 e^{2i(k_1x_1-\omega t}

*I apologize for LaTeX notation, for simplicity this is the general question I have:*

Does e^X * e^X = e^2X when X is a complex vector quantity, and * denotes the dot product.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For reference, the other equations are as follows:Electromagnetic Momentum Density:\pi = {1\over c} (E \times H)Intensity:I = {1\over 2} c (E^2 + H^2)Stress:T= {1\over 2} (D \cdot E + B \cdot H)

Related to Electromagnetic Energy Density

1. What is electromagnetic energy density?

Electromagnetic energy density refers to the amount of energy per unit volume that is contained in an electromagnetic field. It is a measure of the intensity of the electric and magnetic fields that make up electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is electromagnetic energy density calculated?

Electromagnetic energy density is calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the magnetic field strength and dividing by the speed of light in a vacuum. This formula is represented as U= ε0E²/2 + B²/2μ0, where ε0 and μ0 are the permittivity and permeability of free space, respectively.

3. What is the SI unit for electromagnetic energy density?

The SI unit for electromagnetic energy density is joules per cubic meter (J/m³). However, it is also commonly expressed in other units such as watts per square meter (W/m²) or ergs per cubic centimeter (erg/cm³).

4. How does electromagnetic energy density affect matter?

Electromagnetic energy density can affect matter in various ways, depending on the frequency and intensity of the electromagnetic radiation. High energy densities can cause heating, ionization, and other chemical reactions, while low energy densities may have no noticeable effects.

5. What are some real-life applications of electromagnetic energy density?

Electromagnetic energy density has numerous real-life applications, including in communications, power generation, medical imaging, and solar energy. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, defense, and telecommunications for various purposes such as sensing, heating, and welding.