Electrodynamics(?): finding position of particles in function of time?

In summary, the question asks how to find the positions of two particles, A and B, in an empty universe where they are created at time=0s with given properties and interact only through electromagnetism. One approach is to use the Lorentz force and solve for the particles' trajectories, but this may be a difficult problem due to the mutual interaction of the particles. Another method is to use Lagrangian mechanics, which takes into account the particles' interactions with each other and the fields as their trajectories evolve. This may be beyond the scope of high school mathematics and physics.
WindScars
Im still on high school so I don't know where this question belongs to, I don't know even what is the exact subject of this question, so I would like you more experienced members to help me understand what exactly I am asking and where I can find information about it:

"In an empty universe, two particles, A and B, are instantly created at time=0s with an arbitrary position, mass, charge and velocity. They interact by electromagnetism and nothing else. How to find their positions in function of time?"

I have attempted solving it this way: their positions are the an integral of their velocities, right? Their velocities are an integral of their accelerations. Their accelerations are a function of their distances, that is a function of their positions. So in the end I had something like:
[itex]posA(t) = \int_0^t \int_0^t(\frac{k*qA*qB}{|posA(t)-posB(t)|²*mA}) dtdt[/itex]
Well its probably wrong and even if it were right Id have no idea of how to solve it. But you got the idea. Thoughts please.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you're including only the electric force. In general, you have to include the effect of the magnetic force which depends on the speed and direction of motion of both particles.

Yeah I think this is going to be beyond high school mathematics and physics. The fact that you will have accelerating charges means that there will be electromagnetic fields as opposed to purely electric as jtbell stated. Normally the calculation of the trajectory of a charged particle in an electromagnetic field would not be too daunting. You would just take the Lorentz force,

[tex]\mathbf{F} = q\left(\mathbf{E} + \mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{B} \right) = m \frac{d \mathbf{v}}{dt} = m \frac{d^2 \mathbf{x}}{dt^2}[/tex]

You could perform the integrations above and use your initial conditions to find the unknown constants. But since you have two charges that will both be accelerating and interacting with each other then it becomes a much more difficult problem. The most general way of solving this would probably to use Lagrangian mechanics to find the trajectory. This would include the interaction of the particles with the fields and each other as their trajectories evolve.

Related to Electrodynamics(?): finding position of particles in function of time?

1. What is Electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electromagnetic forces and their interactions with matter. It describes the behavior of charged particles, such as electrons and protons, in electric and magnetic fields.

2. How does Electrodynamics relate to finding the position of particles in function of time?

Electrodynamics helps us understand the motion of charged particles in a given electric and magnetic field. By applying the principles of Electrodynamics, we can predict the position of particles in function of time, taking into account the forces acting on them.

3. What are the key concepts in Electrodynamics?

The key concepts in Electrodynamics include electric fields, magnetic fields, electromagnetic waves, and the equations governing their interactions. These include Maxwell's equations, which describe the fundamental principles of Electrodynamics.

4. How can we use Electrodynamics to find the position of particles in function of time?

We can use Electrodynamics to find the position of particles in function of time by applying the equations of motion and the equations governing the behavior of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields. This allows us to calculate the forces acting on the particles and predict their motion over time.

5. What are some real-world applications of Electrodynamics in finding the position of particles in function of time?

Electrodynamics has a wide range of real-world applications, including in particle accelerators, where it is used to control and manipulate the trajectory of particles. It is also used in medical imaging, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), to map the position of particles in the body. Additionally, Electrodynamics plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as electromotors, generators, and transformers.