Electrochemistry: Stability test of reference electrode

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of stability in a reference electrode during electrochemical measurements. The use of ferrocene as an internal reference and its potential reactions with the electrolyte system is mentioned. Other methods, such as testing for compatibility and filtering, are suggested to ensure stability. The equipment and experiment setup are also described, including the use of an Ag/AgCl reference electrode and a V3 potentiostat. The potential impact of dissolved oxygen and aggregates on readings is also mentioned. Finally, the potential use of alcoholic solvents and the recommendation to use gold plating or platinum instead of aluminum is discussed.
shay
Dear subscribers

Re: Stability test of reference electrode

One of the important properties of reference electrode is its stability during measurements or potential scan. How one can check its stability in a certain electrochemical system?

One of the way is to use internal reference, for example ferrocene. However I am afraid that it will be involve in some chemical reaction with my electrolyte system as I replace it each time (I am doing some screening). In some cases the ferrocene may not be dissolved properly.

Are there any other methods that I can use to test the reference stability?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are you utilizing a potentiostat? Please describe your experiment as well as the equipment.

If you are worried about ferrocene not dissolving, make sure that it does dissolve or that it is dissolved in the matrix electrolye before you add it to your sample. Do this with the matrix electrolyte with and without your analyte to see if ferrocene is compatible. If you are worried about ferrocene's compatibility with your analyte, you need to analyze your sample analyte with and without ferrocene and do so over several time periods to note any change. You might also add ferrocene to your analyte and let it set for some time and then filter it through a very fine filter (.2 micron, for example) to see if any solids are produced. Do this test for pure matrix and analyte + matrix as well to ensure that your system is stable under the measurement conditions (air sensitive, CO2 sensitive, etc...).

good luck with it.

Thank you Chemisttree and GCT.

As for GCT, my system includes: V3 potentiostate of Princeton Applied Research, the electrolytes is 0.1 NaNO3 in water (However I wish to move to alcohols and also to non-polar solvents with very low conductivity). The reference electrode is Ag/AgCl in sat'd NaCl. The WE can be change. Now I am focusing on Al.

How I can be sure that my reference is stable in different systems. Maybe it is unstable in non-polar solvents?

I've used the silver chloride as a reference electrode however in 3 M KCl - from what I remember you want to keep the solution in the reference electrode relatively similar to that in the solution with respect to the chemical species although this probably is not a big factor; I've had no problems with the silver chloride electrode however some variations in the potentiostat readings can actually be due to dissolved oxygen and if aggregates are present in the solution they can also take up charge and contribute to bad readings.

For instance I had Resorufin aggregates which took up charge to become resorufin which was the actual analyte being titrated; since the potentiostat reading is proportional to the ratio of the redox species of resorufin the aggregate contributed to strange readings.

shay said:
Thank you Chemisttree and GCT.

As for GCT, my system includes: V3 potentiostate of Princeton Applied Research, the electrolytes is 0.1 NaNO3 in water (However I wish to move to alcohols and also to non-polar solvents with very low conductivity). The reference electrode is Ag/AgCl in sat'd NaCl. The WE can be change. Now I am focusing on Al.

Do not use Al in an alcoholic solvent. Use gold plating or platinum only.

Related to Electrochemistry: Stability test of reference electrode

What is electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is the study of the chemical reactions that take place at the interface of an electrode and an electrolyte. It involves the conversion of chemical energy into electrical energy or vice versa.

What is a reference electrode?

A reference electrode is a type of electrode used in electrochemical studies as a comparison point for other electrodes. It has a stable, known potential that can be used as a reference for measuring the potential of other electrodes.

Why is stability testing important for reference electrodes?

Stability testing is important for reference electrodes because it ensures that the electrode has a stable, reproducible potential over time. Any changes in the potential of the reference electrode can affect the accuracy and reliability of the electrochemical measurements.

How is stability testing performed on reference electrodes?

Stability testing is typically performed by immersing the reference electrode in a solution with a known potential and monitoring its potential over time. The electrode is considered stable if its potential remains constant within an acceptable range.

What factors can affect the stability of reference electrodes?

There are several factors that can affect the stability of reference electrodes, including the composition and quality of the electrode materials, the type and concentration of the electrolyte solution, and external factors such as temperature and pressure. Contamination or damage to the electrode can also impact its stability.