Electro Dynamics Curl Question (semi-basic)

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation is about finding the curl of a fluid with angular velocity \u about the z-axis. The correct expression for the velocity of a point in the fluid is \v = \u X \r, and the correct expression for \u is \u = u0 / s^2 (z-hat). To find \DEL X \v, \v is first expressed in cylindrical coordinates and then substituted into the expression for the curl in cylindrical coordinates. The final answer is u0 / s^2 (z-hat).
steve233

Homework Statement

(I use \x for a vector)

A fluid has an angular velocity u about the z-axis (right hand rule). the velocity of a point in the fluid is
\v = \u X \r.

\u = u0 / s2 (z-hat). (u-naught is a constant)
Find \DEL X \v (del as in the symbol del)

Homework Equations

The curl in cylindrical coordinates.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I find \v by taking the cross product of \u and \r which turns out to be:
u0 / s (theta hat)

Then using the equation of the curl in cylindrical coordinates (only the last part of it since the rest turns out to be 0), I end up getting 0 (z-hat) which can't possibly be the correct answer. I'm missing one small piece and I'm not too sure what it could be.

If the question is unclear, I can reword it better.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for posting your question on the forum. It seems like you are on the right track with your solution. However, there are a few mistakes that I would like to point out. Firstly, the velocity of a point in the fluid is given by \v = \u X \r, which is incorrect. The correct expression should be \v = \u X \r, where \u is the angular velocity and \r is the position vector of the point in the fluid. Also, the given expression for \u is incorrect. It should be \u = u0 / s^2 (z-hat), where s is the distance from the z-axis to the point in the fluid and u0 is a constant.

Now, to find \DEL X \v, we first need to express \v in cylindrical coordinates. Substituting the given values, we get \v = u0 / s (theta hat). Now, using the expression for the curl in cylindrical coordinates, we get \DEL X \v = (1/s) (d/ds (s * u0 / s)) = u0 / s^2 (z-hat). This is the correct answer.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Related to Electro Dynamics Curl Question (semi-basic)

1. What is the curl of a vector field?

The curl of a vector field is a mathematical operation that measures the rotation of the field at any given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇ x, where ∇ represents the gradient operator.

2. How is the curl of a vector field calculated?

The curl of a vector field is calculated using the cross product of the gradient operator and the vector field. This can be written as ∇ x F, where F is the vector field. The resulting vector will describe the magnitude and direction of the rotation at each point in the field.

3. What is the physical significance of the curl?

The curl describes the circulation or rotation of a vector field, and it is often used in physics to describe the motion of fluids or electromagnetic fields. It can also be used to calculate the angular momentum of a system.

4. How does the curl relate to the divergence of a vector field?

The curl and divergence of a vector field are related through the fundamental theorem of vector calculus. This theorem states that the curl of the gradient of a scalar field is equal to the zero vector, and the divergence of the curl of a vector field is also equal to the zero vector.

5. What are some real-world applications of the curl?

The curl has many practical applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and robotics. It is used in the design of aircraft wings and turbines, the analysis of weather patterns, and the development of control systems for robotic arms. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic fluid simulations.